Good Idea, but This Website Has Many Shortcomings - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #1

Good Idea, but This Website Has Many Shortcomings

This site really needs to have more model-specific info so that people can specify which exact engine and transmission people have. It also needs to let you put all your fillups in for those of us who have been tracking fuel economy for years.

Since it doesn't, it's relatively useless, but I wanted to promote my Saabs and how great their fuel economy is relative to the EPA ratings.

UH2LSAAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
pb

Sorry you don't like the site Atul, but we appreciate the feedback. You can choose your engine type when you create a car, though it's not as specific as it could be. We're trying to find a balance between ease-of-use and accuracy, but we realize our choices won't suit everyone.

You can import fuel-ups if you'd like.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #3

ONe other suggestion is for truck s 4x2 or 4x4 there are significant differences between the two. Could you please add that as an option
Dewback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #4

i'd like to echo the comment that - i love the site - but the engine sizes are a big deal. i'd like to compare, for example, my specific engine size and body type to others at that level.

for example, specific to the 2004 Mazda 3 i could compare against:

2.3L - hatch - 3 - mazda - 2004

2.3L - sedan - 3 - mazda - 2004

2.0L - sedan - 3 - mazda - 2004

But and thats it - it's only 3 for that mazda.

clearly, there would a TON of new variables/cars to add, but the engine size and body type would be great additions, if possible!

THANKS!
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
pb

mikeyb, we currently have body type (hatch vs. sedan) and engine type as options when you create a car. We're planning to show the differences in mileage between these different types, and we'll consider adding engine size as an option. The closest we get now is 4 vs 6 cylinder and fuel type. We don't have the engine displacement sizes as an option, but I can see how that would be an interesting data point to have when you're comparing mileages.

Like I mentioned, the issue here is how complicated we want to make the form for entering a car. If the form looks like an airplane cockpit, no one will bother to create a car and we won't have any data to work with. There are drawbacks to having things simple, but the advantage is more people using the system.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #6

UH2LSAAB, it is very easy to add your fill-up history. Take a closer look at the entry options and you'll find a variety of ways to enter prior fill-up data (i.e., either one-at-a-time or with a .csv file). Take a look at my log; it contains entries from over a year before this site's launch.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Agree about the import feature. I was able to export all my historical data from spritmonitor.de and import it into Fuelly.com. No big deal. You just need to RTFM.
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Mo

I just signed up today and was able to upload almost 3 years worth of data. I was also able to choose my engine and transmission combination to see how my mpg compared to the EPA estimates.

I actually think the site is awesome because of how easy it is to share and view information. Keep it up 'fuelly' people!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

If they ever decide to shut down, be certain I'll demand the code and put it on my colo machine at IBM.
Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #10

hey Fuelly.com website owners, dont listen to the moron's who complain about your website's "shortcomings"! when he/she/it/they create, publish and maintain their own website that is as helpful,useful, AND PERTINENT as yours is, then they can say whatever the hell they want...till that day tho, tell them to F off and use another website! there is a DISTINCT difference between constructive criticism and just annoying complaining...that guy nailed the latter....

everythingzen is offline   Reply With Quote