Logging accurate mpg on Chevy Volt - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Logging accurate mpg on Chevy Volt

My issue concerns my fuel-ups for my Chevy Volt. I understand that fuel-up entries that yield over 199 mpg are usually indicative of possible entry errors. As the Volt is able to travel from 35-40 miles on an electric charge, it is foreseeable that the car can go for thousands of miles on a single tank of gasoline (as my car has done) depending on whether the trips made are less than its electric capacity and how often the car is being charged. My entries have been limited to roughly 1500 miles on a tank of gas when in fact, my first tank delivered 5079 miles for 7.25 gallons of fuel. The second tankful was 7.009 gallons and delivered 6671 miles. Fuelly is doing this car a great disservice in that it is grossly misrepresented in its capabilities to drastically reduce fuel consumption and consumer cost. I would like to request that an exception be made in the case of the Chevy Volt so that users here may see for themselves what a benefit this car that can drive all electric for up to 40 miles offers. Thanks for you attention.

swb1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

But how much electricity did you use?
Ignoring the plug in energy does not give a total picture of efficiency and cost. You may not think the amount electricity used adds to your costs in any significant manner, but leaving it out with the entry here will give the wrong impression to those researching the car. Values based on your 7 gallons per 5000 miles will be totally off for people that will be driving greater miles between charges.

The new owners are working to update the site. Hopefully, they'll address plug in vehicles.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your interest in my posting. Currently, I use about 33 kilowatt-hrs per 100 miles. This number changes somewhat depending on the temperature outside, but the fluctuations are small. I pay 22 cents per kilowatt-hr. At this time I have used a total of 2552 Kilowatt hrs to go 9868 miles, or about $561. I would have used 266 gallons of 93 octane fuel @ about $4 per gal or $1064 dollars to cover the same distance with a non-plugin vehicle averaging 37 mpg which is what the EPA rates the Volt when running with discharged batteries. So, basically it cost half using electricity. The website does not even come close to representing the truth here by limiting the amount of mileage per tank to ~1500 miles. All of my numbers were downloaded from GM's MyVolt website. As for your reply, "Values based on your 7 gallons per 5000 miles will be totally off for people that will be driving greater miles between charges." these people are free to share their results here on Fuelly to offset my seemingly unusual results. But I assert that if someone is traveling less than 40 miles/day, they could easily do better than I have done.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have seen postings elsewhere from Volt owners that use very little gas. I wish I had one, and hope the new owners of Fuelly allow for accurate energy consumption of plug in vehicles.

However, even if the site did allow you to enter your data as is, it still won't be accurate. My intention isn't to put down the amount of fuel you have saved. It is to promote transparency in energy consumption. By doing so, I hope to avoid anti-plug in and anti-gm trolls a point to start with.

Ever here of the flex-fuel loop hole in CAFE rules? It allowed manufacturers to claim high numbers from flex fuel vehicles for their corporate average fuel economy. It assumed the vehicles would use E85 around half the time. Why I bring it up here is that also ignored the ethanol portion of the fuel for calculating the CAFE mpg. So a 10mpg flex fuel SUV would be counted as going 66.6mpg on gasoline while using E85. Ignoring the electricity for a plug in hybrid is the same fuzzy logic.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Fuelly was never set up initially to accept electric vehicles. It is not prepared to calculate MPGe.

We're working to eventually allow for electric vehicles and MPGe tracking.

In the meantime, of course Fuelly is going to push back when you attempt to enter 5000+ miles traveled on 7 gallons of gas. It's physically not possible.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
Fuelly was never set up initially to accept electric vehicles. It is not prepared to calculate MPGe.

We're working to eventually allow for electric vehicles and MPGe tracking.

In the meantime, of course Fuelly is going to push back when you attempt to enter 5000+ miles traveled on 7 gallons of gas. It's physically not possible.

Is there any to give an ETA when this will be done?

Tags
chevy, entry, inaccuracy, volt