MPG calculation - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

Fuelly is correct, your method is wrong. If you travelled 976 miles on an 18.9 gallon tank, that's what MPG you get. If the 976 miles is for all three fuel ups, then that's where you're going wrong, you don't add the miles per tank up then add them as one fuel up using the volume of one tank as fuel used.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Because I could with the previous version - often times one's time is limited - I'm adding a few gallons and get on my way due to time constraints or very inclement weather. I enter the info in the app for the family and at times my spouse forgets to write down the odometer reading and the overall mpg can be tracked with the next fill up when the odometer data gets entered.

teamhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

You don't get it - the 976 miles traveled was not driven on that one tank it was driven over the course of several times of purchasing fuel. The calculation should add all the fuel purchases over that course of time and give you the mpg for the entire period.
teamhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhonda View Post
Because I could with the previous version - often times one's time is limited - I'm adding a few gallons and get on my way due to time constraints or very inclement weather.
What you're describing is a Partial fuel up- where you pump a few gallons of fuel, or any amount other than completely filling the tank. In which case, put your current odometer value in for that fuel up and mark it as a Partial Fill-up (there's a checkbox).
You can do that as many times as you'd like, as long as you continue marking Partial, it'll wait to calculate your MPG until you've logged a full fillup (completely fill the tank). At that point it'll combine all the mileage you've traveled from all your previous partials, and all the gallons you've pumped and calculate your MPG.

Quote:
I enter the info in the app for the family and at times my spouse forgets to write down the odometer reading and the overall mpg can be tracked with the next fill up when the odometer data gets entered.
This sounds more like a "Missed" Fuel up. If you don't have all the information for a fuel up, just wait until your next full fill up, and mark it as "Missed". This will reset the calculations to start from that point.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
You don't get it - the 976 miles traveled was not driven on that one tank it was driven over the course of several times of purchasing fuel. The calculation should add all the fuel purchases over that course of time and give you the mpg for the entire period.
The calculations still needs the mileage though.
You're expecting Miles per Gallon not Gallons consumed over time.

What would you input as the mileage/odometer in the previous version? Would you leave it blank? If you left it blank (which was possible) that really wasn't a feature more so a bug left in by the original owner of GasCubby. A blank or zero odometer serves no purpose in calculating MPG.
It sounds like you made it work to fit your needs, but you were essentially just adapting to a particular bug in the app.
What I hope- is you'll adapt to the correct way of calculating based on what Fuelly.com and GasCubby v3 provides.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

I have the same issue as this poster. Can't say I'm happy about your response...

To say the old system had a 'bug' and that the user was using it wrong is just plain poor customer service and very 'engineer' thinking. This user, and myself, found the 'feature' of not entering in a odo reading a benefit. You've now removed this feature and are telling him, and essential me, tough cookies adapt to the new way.

If it was possible I'd happily convert back to GasCubby and leave Fuelly behind. Thus far I find nothing about it better.
kwoody51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody51 View Post
I have the same issue as this poster. Can't say I'm happy about your response...

To say the old system had a 'bug' and that the user was using it wrong is just plain poor customer service and very 'engineer' thinking. T
Poor customer service from a free site, yes I would complain as well

Having only used the site for a short while I found the directions very easy to follow and as for partial fill ups very accurate in calculations if used correctly. The first item to be entered is the odometer reading and I see teamhonda does not bother. Edit nor does kwoody

I would suggest making your own spreadsheet in excel that calculates the way you want
BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRover View Post
Poor customer service from a free site, yes I would complain as well

Having only used the site for a short while I found the directions very easy to follow and as for partial fill ups very accurate in calculations if used correctly. The first item to be entered is the odometer reading and I see teamhonda does not bother. Edit nor does kwoody

I would suggest making your own spreadsheet in excel that calculates the way you want
I bought and paid for the app and it worked exactly like I needed it to prior to the update. So yes I'm going to voice my frustration and highlight that a feature I used and found to be a benefit should be added back.

Using excel to do something I could 100% on my phone isn't a solution.

I will apologize for directing my comments at Robert. I made the assumption that 'he' is responsible for the changes and he may not be and he's here to help. I do appreciate the support he's trying to offer.

As you can tell I'm not happy with updating something I had absolutely NO issues with.
kwoody51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #19
Registered Member

The Gods help those who help themselves

BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote