True, glacial acceleration and sticking to below 35 mph seem the limit for maintaining EV - but as you're generally in a 30 zone, not too much of a hassle (unless you have a boy racer behind you at the lights!). As you can only select it with a virtually full battery, and any sudden moves lose it, I am learning to leave it alone mostly.
You can use just the electric but it requires significant patience and can only be for maybe a mile or so. I use electric only coming home from one direction that's roughly a mile and I use a lot of electric from the other direction that's about 1.5 miles. I don't worry about the recharge as when I leave home the next time the ice will start to warm up anyway and the distance will be far enough to recover the charge. It's surprising how much that can help overall economy.
SteveMak walked me through it. Here's the instructions from the not everyone wants a small diesel thread. You could do even more than 3 but I figured those 3 covered pretty much everything anyone could want to know.
2) Click on desired vehicle
3) Click Badges link near bottom
4) Change the "This page is showing banners with fuel economy units in" popup menu to the desired metric (e.g., UK MPG)
5) Copy the code from the "Small Banner (120 x 45)" section, top field
6) Paste that code into a text document
7) Go to Step #4 and change the dropdown menu to the second metric (e.g., MPG)
8) Once you've formed the new signature with the 3 metrics in a text document, you can copy that to your Fuelly signature.
If you need horizontal spacing between the icons, I used the underline symbol (3 x "_") and set the font color to white.