Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

MPG Issues with second hand car

Hello, I've bought my car from a colleague of mine, and since it is not new
my first entry starts at around 115000 ish km on the odometer
and when i add second entry it gives around 40 l/100 km which is not right
I've tried to mark the second entry as "missed fuel up"
but it is the same.

any suggestions as how to resolve this issue?

voododoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

When you first entered the vehicle, did you select odometer or trip for tracking miles? Trip is just entering the miles travelled since the last fuel up. Odometer is entering the current odometer reading, and there should be an entry for putting in the initial edometer reading when you set up the vehicle. I use trip myself, but you should be able to edit the vehicle and make changes to these settings.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think you've been adding fuel ups wrong. When you add a fuel up, you input the fuel you've just used, over the miles/km you've just driven. Some of you fuel ups have used 19 litres to go 400+ miles, others you've used 67 litres to go just a few hundred miles.

Nice Alfa by the way

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Looking at your log- http://www.fuelly.com/car/alfa_romeo...oll/334976/log

I see your first entry was marked as Partial. It's best not to start on a partial fill. Better to just skip it and wait for a full-fill up so you have a solid starting point.

Also, when you mark a fill-up as partial, it and the following entry do not calculate MPG.
Your second fill up is marked as Missed. This is also skipped as far as calculating MPG.
Your third is marked as Partial. 5th, 7th and 8th are also Partial fills.

Unfortunately there isn't much to calculate MPG off of until your most recent fill up.

By chance were all those partial fills marked in error?
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

no they are partial, anything under 60+ litres is partial

i've marked the first as partial because it was just to pass the checks and service and then i filled the first full.
so as far as i understand it i should use the first full as first, thus marking the first full fill up as "missed one"?

that was the odometer when i bought it 115968.0 and filled some litres to go for a few days then filled it up full

so far i've used gas cubby and it used to calculate it right. it gave me MPG between every full fill up
every time almost as pinpoint as car's MPG calculator (0.2-0.7 l/100 difference)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

No, you wouldn't need to mark the first fill as a Missed. The first full fill-up is your starting point. It doesn't matter if your Odometer is 0 or 100,000. You won't see MPG for that fillup because it's your initial fill. You'll see MPG after it though.
If you'd rather track by Trip miles, you can edit your vehicle tracking settings and do so.

I'm not sure our definition of Partial is the same.
"anything under 60+ litres is partial" but did you at least fill the tank?
A Partial fillup is having a 10 gallon tank, running it to empty, and only putting 2 gallons in. Or running it to half a tank, and only putting in $20 worth of fuel.
It doesn't fill the tank.

Is this what you're doing? To me it almost sounds like you're defining a Partial as anything less than the entire capacity of the tank.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
No, you wouldn't need to mark the first fill as a Missed. The first full fill-up is your starting point. It doesn't matter if your Odometer is 0 or 100,000. You won't see MPG for that fillup because it's your initial fill. You'll see MPG after it though.
If you'd rather track by Trip miles, you can edit your vehicle tracking settings and do so.

I'm not sure our definition of Partial is the same.
"anything under 60+ litres is partial" but did you at least fill the tank?
A Partial fillup is having a 10 gallon tank, running it to empty, and only putting 2 gallons in. Or running it to half a tank, and only putting in $20 worth of fuel.
It doesn't fill the tank.

Is this what you're doing? To me it almost sounds like you're defining a Partial as anything less than the entire capacity of the tank.
it's the same here, partial is when you fill for example part of the tank, but does not fill it to the top
and so far i didn't see any problem with the partial fill ups as gas cubby use to calculate it from full to full and take the partials into account. i can provide you with screenshots from gas cubby
to see the difference. i've just transfer my data from it to fuelly but seems that fuelly doesn't calculate it at all
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voododoll View Post
it's the same here, partial is when you fill for example part of the tank, but does not fill it to the top
and so far i didn't see any problem with the partial fill ups as gas cubby use to calculate it from full to full and take the partials into account. i can provide you with screenshots from gas cubby
to see the difference. i've just transfer my data from it to fuelly but seems that fuelly doesn't calculate it at all
Yes, if you'd like to send me your CSV I'll be happy to take a look.

*Edit- Fuelly Mail sent instead.