Need help - my trip odometer was reset - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Need help - my trip odometer was reset

My car was in an accident and in the repair shop for about a week. During that time they had to take out the battery, reset the navi codes, etc, etc. I didn't think to look at where my odometer was, and this is what I use to input on Fuelly for fill ups. When I got my car back, I noticed my trip odometer was only 2.4 miles (probably representing a test drive).

So now I have about 1/4 tank remaining on my car and have no idea what my actual tank mileage will be when it's time fill up again and post here on Fuelly.

What should I do? Don't include this particularly tank and just post up the next one? Or try to estimate based on my commute, recent trips, etc?

Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
pb

Yeah, just skip the next fuel-up and check the "I missed a fuel-up" box on your next one. I think that's your best bet. Hope everyone is ok!

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks. I don't know why but only the trip A odometer got zeroed out, and not the rest of my MID data. Strange. Funny thing: since the odometer "thinks" I just filled up, the mpg on the MID is a bit laggard. I only got 45 mpg on a round trip yesterday that regularly gives me 52-55 mpg.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #4

This is why I use the actual odometer to track mileage, rather than the trip.

Trip I use to get a general feel of were I am each tank, but if I actually take a trip, I let it track that.
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

A similar thing happened to me, i had my car tuned up, they removed the battery so i lost the data. Didn't realise there was "missed a fuel up" box though? What difference does that make?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
pb

You might need "missed a fuel-up" if you're using odometer tracking. And it's only available when you fuel-up if you're using odometer tracking. That tells Feully that you didn't really travel 1,800 miles since the last fuel-up, you just missed at least one fuel-up. With tripometer tracking you always know exactly how far you went. But with odometer tracking, Fuelly figures that out for you, and we need to know when there's more mileage than there should be for calculating fuel-ups.

So I misspoke when I said Keen4Green should check the missed fuel-up option. That's not even an option because he's using tripometer tracking.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #7

I use the tripometer method myself and the guys at the carwash reset my tripometer.. from now on I'm switching it over to TripB when I drop off my car with anyone..

One of the advantages of having a digital readout... You normally have two tripometers..
mtux96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #8

It depends.

If you're really serious about it, you could track your odometer reading if you've been filling the car up from the very beginning of ownership from it. Subtract the difference from what your odometer is at right now versus what it was at the sum of all your fuelly postings.

But that'll only work if you've logged every mile the car has ever had as I have. It's unlikely.

Otherwise, you can just skip it, as much as it pains me to say. It would drive me nuts to have to skip one, as I'm a bit OCD about it.

I had that happen to me on my last car though, so I feel your pain.

obradovichm is offline   Reply With Quote