New car, MPG question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

New car, MPG question

Hello, recently purchased a brand new 2017 CRV EX. I was wondering if there was a way to put in the initial mileage on the odometer before adding a fuel up? I ask this because there were 7 miles on the vehicle when I took ownership of it, and the dealership had the tank full of fuel, and I have 2 fill ups now.

When I put my first fuel up in it doesn't show what the initial tank got MPG wise, and once I put the second fuel up then it shows the stats.

Is there a way to show the initial fill up from the dealership with 7 miles on the odometer so I can get a true MPG reading for the life of the vehicle? Thanks in advance.

redsoxguy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hello welcome. 7 miles will make little difference over the life of the vehicle. Look at it this way, you weren't using the vehicle or tracking the fuel usage over those 7 miles.

Alot of people think a fuel up is simply adding fuel. It's not, for fuelly to calculate your economy, it needs to know the fuel you just used over the distance you just drove. Hope that makes sense.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Same Question Here?

Dealer did a fill up after purchase with 70 miles on odometer. I did not keep the gallons as dealer paid for it.

I tried to enter that fill up and the 70 miles will not show up in the table. So, the next fill up will not have accurate miles if use the odometer reading at that time (it will be 70 miles off).

SO, MPG will be off.

Seems there should be a way to show the first Odometer Reading at Dealer Fill Up so subsequent fill up will give accurate MPG.
PAULRIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
Same Question Here?

Dealer did a fill up after purchase with 70 miles on odometer. I did not keep the gallons as dealer paid for it.

I tried to enter that fill up and the 70 miles will not show up in the table. So, the next fill up will not have accurate miles if use the odometer reading at that time (it will be 70 miles off).

SO, MPG will be off.

Seems there should be a way to show the first Odometer Reading at Dealer Fill Up so subsequent fill up will give accurate MPG.
There is no way for you to measure fuel consumption before you control the car; you can only measure use over which you have control.

Zero out your trip odometer on your new car and fill it. Enter your information at the next fill up and you will be able to calculate and track your consumption for that first full tank.
frugalkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
Same Question Here?

SO, MPG will be off.

Just answered you in the other thread.
When going by the odometer, the first fill on the table won't calculate a tank fuel economy. It is just for telling Fuelly that this odometer reading is the start point for tracking mileage from this point on. The second fill will have the first tank calculation on the table.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote