New model approval? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

New model approval?

I've changed the model of my Land Rover to be the specific 'Series 2' that it is rather than the generic 'Land Rover' available in the model list. How long until this gets approved? My friends and I can't find my model via the browse vehicles option until the model has been approved. I know of several other people who would like have the correct 'Series 1', Series 2' or 'Series 3' models available under the Land Rover make. I'm currently rebuilding my vehicle at the moment but should start fuelling it up early next year.

PS. The site is a great little tool. The only thing I could suggest to improve things is the addition of annual charts. I have imported 380+ fuel ups from spreadsheet over 5 years for my other vehicle (Mazda pickup) and I'd like the ability to compare economy over time, by year etc. Also would like option to show a YTD average mpg as well as the lifetime average. Keep up the good work!

MUD4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
pb

We haven't had anyone add a Land Rover Series I, II, or III (looks like Land Rover prefers the Roman Numerals) before. And every custom model needs to be approved by an administrator and we just haven't had a chance yet.

It usually takes a couple days, but can take longer on the weekends or if it's not clear that the name is a model vs. a trim level. We want distinct models, not trim levels and it's not always clear which is which. The research can add some time for approval.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
pb

oh, another thing to keep in mind is that only vehicles with three or more fuel-ups show up in public listings.

And I hear ya on annual charts. We started the site in 2008 and we honestly didn't expect so many people to have years and years of data to import. We need to start thinking in terms of years instead of just months.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Many thanks for the reply. Apologies, I didn't mean to appear impatient - I just wasn't aware of how long the process normally takes.

With regard to imported data, your import tool is great, really easy to use. I have been recorded my fuel usage on spreadsheets since the early 90's - I thought I was the only 'sad' person to be doing this, nice to join a site where I'm not the only one!!
MUD4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #5

pb, there are a few of us. I added my series iii as Land Rover | Land Rover as there was already a series landy there. Oh and Landy Series I, Series II, Series IIa and Series III are specific models, not trim levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

HTH your research :-)

Ta,

John, friend of Mud4Fun
JayHoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
pb

Thanks for the extra info. It's a big help if you put in the correct model name if it hasn't been in our system before. The attitude we take is that if someone wants to call their car model a Chevy 'Nova Sup3rst4r Four-Door Monster Turbo', that's fine. We just won't approve it for public listing because it's not a model that was put out by Chevy.

So if you put in Land Cruiser 'Series 3' or 'Series iii' or 'Series Three' we'll probably just leave it private. We don't want to presume that you didn't want it to be that way, and we want the official model name of 'Series III' to be public. I know that's really picky, but we don't want to step on anyone's toes and we also don't want to try to stay on top of things by entering model names ourselves at this point.

When in doubt, drop us a line. We'll probably just ask if we can update your specific model to 'Series III' and make that public if there's a problem. Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #7

Not to thread jack - but how about the Chevy Traverse? Cant seem to find that in the vehicle list
thereverendmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
pb

Sure, just added the Traverse.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #9

Hi pb, I have now updated my vehicle to Land Rover | Series III

Hope this is ok and can get approved. Thanks, John
JayHoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
pb

done and done.