Octane rating on Fillup? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Octane rating on Fillup?

Here is a suggestion for the site. Sorry if it has been brought up before; this is an errant thought I'm putting in before I head to work, so I don't have time to search the forum for existing threads. And I don't know if there is a better place to post this idea. If there is one, please let me know.

Why not add a place to put the octane rating of the gas you bought on each fillup? I've done this myself to keep track how different grades of gas have affected my gas mileage in my cars.

As it stands now, I keep that information in my notes. However, since I put in what maintenance I do to the car in the notes, they are getting pretty clogged up.

DastardlyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #2

Most every car has a manufacturer suggested octane rating for all fuel-ups, which drivers should follow (more octane is usually a waste, as it's more expensive and just burns in your engine the same as cheaper fuel).

Since that's usually an unwavering "87" or "92" it's an added hassle to add it to every fuel stop when for most users, it does not change.

I'd suggest continuing to use the notes field.

mathowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

I agree octane rating would be kinda nice too. a drop down list maybe the easiest thing so people aren't hassled too much.
yourmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #4

Other thing is doesn't the US use MON at the pumps & the EU RON octane? That means my usual 98RON is the equivalent of 90MON fuel in the US.
techathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #5

I would also like to see this. Sometimes I change my tune, with a handheld tuner and have been keeping a writen record. This help me keep cars running at their best.
Olddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

I think the octane rating would be more beneficial than the cost per gallon of the fuel. This is a personal preference that others might not share, and I understand that. But all the same, the option is there. I would still prefer to have the option of entering my octane rating at each fuel up. Especially considering that not every gas station has the same octane ratings on their grades of fuel.

DastardlyDan is offline   Reply With Quote