Per Month tracking? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Per Month tracking?

Is it possible to have the monthly charts also show how much fuel was purchased that month (gallons & total spent), so that you can compare it to the same month in subsequent years? Much like how retail stores track their sales month to month and year to year and compare. Mahalo!

mauirixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Not sure how well that would work for a lot of people, as some people would drive more in a particular month than others, or, have to fill up more often because of a trip, etc. On top of that, with gas prices going crazy, the dollars and cents just wouldn't make sense a year from now.

Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm aware that looking at last years cost compared to this years cost wouldn't really be useful, but it would definitely be interesting.

I would like to at least see how far I've driven per month, and what I spent on fuel per month. I'm trying to generate as much useful data as I can because I'd like to get my boss and co-workers using this site, since we do a lot of driving going to job sites.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #4

I agree that comparing data year to year can be confusing. I also agree that it would be nice to have some options as to how to view your data. I do think each vehicles info should always default to how it is given now. It would be nice to be able to open and customize some reports for single viewing applications. For example, be able to open a report page and choose which data you wish to evaluate (Avg. MPG, Avg. Miles, Avg. $PG, Total $ Spent) for a specified time (Current Month, Last Month, June, or mm/dd/yyyy - mm/dd/yyyy). Again, this would diplay a page that you can view and/or print, with charts and/or tables that could be copied or exported to excel, that when you close the window are gone forever. You would have to generate the report again in order to view it again.

As I mentioned earlier, this would be something that is less of a long term comparison tool, and more of a short term comparison tool. I think its safe to say that most people (including myself) that are avid fuelly users tend to enjoy seeing the statistics of their driving/fueling habits. The more statistics the site will display in its graphs and charts, and the more customizable reports that can be generated, the more fuelly users you will find with giddy smiles on their faces as they view the report of how many MPG's they achieved from 11/28/2008 - 12/06/2008!!!!

I know that his would be a somewhat complex feat to make a reality. However, I figure the site is probably based on a SQL database. I don't know much about how to work with a SQL database, but I do know that these report generating parameters wouldn't be terribly difficult for someone who knows what they're doing to get to work.

Sorry again for another long post!
g2gsr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

quote g2gsr93

---

and the more customizable reports that can be generated, the more fuelly users you will find with giddy smiles on their faces as they view the report of how many MPG's they achieved from 11/28/2008 - 12/06/2008!!!!

---

I couldn't agree more. Every time I fill up I can't wait to input the data, to see how good or bad my driving habits were for my last full tank.

And yes, because the backend is SQL pased (I'm assuming MySQL) pulling and manipulating the data is easy enough, it's just a matter of applying graphs to it (the data) and doing some cosmetic changes to the front end that we're accustomed to.