Problems with Total Miles Driven - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Problems with Total Miles Driven

I just added a fuel up for my truck, been about a month since I last had to fill my diesel tank. The vegetable oil system that I have running allows me to got pretty long without fueling up the diesel side. I went 1538 miles since my last complete fill up, and truck used 44 gal of diesel in that time. The avg of 35mpg the site gave me is correct, the money spent is correct as well.

The problem I see is that the fuel up is not showing miles driven, and not adding those 1538 to the total miles tracked. Is there a problem or bug in a vehicle getting more than say 999 miles between fills? I've tried deleting this entry and re-adding it and I still get the same issue.

Can someone look at this and let me know if there is a solution? I haven't tanen any really long trips yet this summer, but it won't be uncommon for me to go 2000 or 3000 miles using vegetable oil and only using a few gallons of diesel.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bmalachuk/f250-super-duty

bmalachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

The site is not reporting the mileage, as the average or standard it uses would show that as an unrealistic MPG. Yes there is a cutoff of how many miles in a tank are possible, but it should still add to the overall.

This was done for two parts, one to help people catch an error in reporting, and two to prevent fraudulent or fake claims of higher than normal reporting.

The proper way to have done this, would have been to add entries for even the cooking oil, treating it just like any other fill up with fuel. But assuming that you don't need to track it the same way you track diesel is partly responsible for your current dilemma.

DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

And don't forget to add costs for your cooking oil, if any. I'm not sure, but 0 dollars will most likely not work during the reporting.
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
pb

Like DTMAce mentioned, we just aren't set up for vehicles that get 2000 or 3000 miles per fuel-up. This will take some restructuring on our end to accommodate. It's something we'd like to do at some point, but we don't support it right now.

We set the site up with limits in place to help people catch data entry errors. The majority of users are not getting over 1000 miles per fuel-up. So it's safe to assume if they enter that, it's an error. I know this is a hassle if you're in that tiny minority--sorry about that.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the info on why this is happening. My costs per gallon of vegetable oil are close enough to 0 that I don't care to track them, plus I have no "accurate" way to meter those gallons on a fillup. From what I have read, flow meters that are affordable aren't properly calibrated for the viscosity of vegetable oil.

No need to apologize, I figured the answer was something like that, though I would believe with current fuel prices and seemingly increased interest in running alternative fuels, you may see some more people having the same problem. I suppose for now I could break up "fuel ups" into more manageable chunks, and/or make it a point to top off my diesel tank when I use 3-5 gallons.

My real goal of using you site was to give me an effective MPG per pump diesel gallons used. And the important fuel costs monitoring.

This past Christmas I drove from NY to TN, 1009 miles one way, used .75 gallons of diesel. I made it a point to fill up before I left, then again soon as I arrived, just so could have a number in my head as to miles per pump diesel gallons.

If you guys ever want to test out those kinda changes down the line I'd be willing, and I know I could find a few more vege oil users to help test it.
bmalachuk is offline   Reply With Quote