Proposed 'Sticky': Incorrect Descriptions and Data Integrity - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should there be a sticky for posting potentially incorrect vehicle or data entries?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Post Proposed 'Sticky': Incorrect Descriptions and Data Integrity

While simple errors (intentional or otherwise) by users may seem like a minor issue in the greater scheme of things, these lazy mistakes are quite common on Fuelly and seriously affect the accuracy of generated data and the utility of comparisons for genuine users.

For example, the following vehicle entry - a 2007 Swift - needs the engine changed to the diesel option (note the description of the car - 'DDIS'): Suzuki Swift DDIS (Suzuki Swift) | Fuelly

It is possible that the same mistake has occurred for the following vehicle entry (though not certainly so given that I average high-5's (l/100kms) in my petrol-powered Swift thanks to a lot of highway driving)): Suzuki Swift (Suzuki Swift) | Fuelly. To give the user the benefit of the doubt, an email should be sent to them to notify them of the potential issue and that it will be amended should they either agree or fail to reply within a given timeframe.

Given the frequency with which these errors occur and the frustration they produce, I suggest that the moderators please consider creating at their earliest convenience a 'stickied' thread in which errors (and likely errors) are reported and attended to (as a stickler for honesty, transparency and accuracy I would be happy to help moderate this side of the site if that is possible).

By contrast, an example of a vehicle with useful and accurate particulars (engine, transmission and trim level correctly specified): Nissan Micra SLX Solaire Edition '96 (Nissan Micra) | Fuelly

Hyperkilometerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I did fix the Swift you identified. I try to sort through the reported vehicles and fix what I can, but I don't always have enough info to properly classify the vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Wasn't there a report button on the vehicle's profile page for these type of errors?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Yes there is.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I'm no longer seeing it on the vehicle profile page.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, you're right. I don't see it either. Someone in the web team must be working on those pages and took it out for some reason.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

There needs to be a report button on the page for errant data. It should email the user that has the incorrect data on their car, and remove the car from the analytic data until it's fixed.

I thought my forester was getting crappy fuel economy so I looked through the cars getting better economy. half of them has skipped fill-ups and incorrect data. It makes the analytic data far less useful.
smopoim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
LDB
Registered Member

I think many vehicles have multiple entries because user A calls his engine one thing and user B calls it another and you wind up with a split among 2 or 3 groups when it should all be one. I know globally there are a number of engine options we don't see here but it's difficult to believe there are as many as some cars show. The same may hold true for other data points as well.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yea this has been mentioned numerous times, the Jetta, one of the most common cars in the database, has some 52 engine choices. Very much doubt there's that many really.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data, description, error, incorrect, report