Reminder: please fill out your garage - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_maxc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 166
Country: United States
No. Cookies enabled. security as low as it can go or let me take it.
__________________

__________________
less lurking and more working
GasSavers_maxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_maxc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 166
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc
No. Cookies enabled. security as low as it can go or let me take it.
Garage access now. Thankyou Matt.
__________________

__________________
less lurking and more working
GasSavers_maxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Diemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 163
Country: United States
i know i need to update it. i need to get a new pic of helga. right now she's in the hospital getting her a/c fixed.
__________________
I ♥ my EM2


Need this stuff gone!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
I need to as well.

Ninja edit: before I leave so I only need to do it once.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
kps
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 61
Country: United States
I see an announcement that a 'Trim' field has been added in order to group like cars. Wouldn't a 'Transmission' menu be useful?
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #16
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps
I see an announcement that a 'Trim' field has been added in order to group like cars. Wouldn't a 'Transmission' menu be useful?
Yes it would. DO you think just providing two options (manual and automatic) would be sufficient?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #17
kps
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 61
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
YDO you think just providing two options (manual and automatic) would be sufficient?
I'd think so. There may be cars with different transmission options (e.g 5 vs 6 speed) but they're not too common and probably distinguishable by trim name.

I suspect the trim names will end up messy... on a photo site I'm on, there are dozens of different variations of the same camera, lens, or film that differ by case, spacing, hyphens, etc.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps
I'd think so. There may be cars with different transmission options (e.g 5 vs 6 speed) but they're not too common and probably distinguishable by trim name.

I suspect the trim names will end up messy... on a photo site I'm on, there are dozens of different variations of the same camera, lens, or film that differ by case, spacing, hyphens, etc.
I'm concerned about the trim also, but by adding the trim I'm hoping that most of the makes and models will remain somewhat consistant, enabling us to accurately compare between makes/models/trims.

Unless you can find a database online somewhere that has every make/model/trim and is updated regularly
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #19
kps
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 61
Country: United States
From a user's point of view I think the best thing would be menus for Make, Model, et cetera. Thinking about it just a bit more, it might be a good idea to move the basic vehicle information to a separate table and have the garage entry key into it; that way you'd easily have matching cars grouped, and people wouldn't have to look up their own fuel ratings. Priming it from http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml would give you most users' cars but there would still need to be some way to enter other vehicles for non-Americans and one-offs.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps
From a user's point of view I think the best thing would be menus for Make, Model, et cetera. Thinking about it just a bit more, it might be a good idea to move the basic vehicle information to a separate table and have the garage entry key into it; that way you'd easily have matching cars grouped, and people wouldn't have to look up their own fuel ratings. Priming it from http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml would give you most users' cars but there would still need to be some way to enter other vehicles for non-Americans and one-offs.
A while ago the garage entry was based on the fueleconomy.gov's website. The table data was so horribly put together that I just removed it. For example, a Honda LX and Honda DX had the same engine, so people would often select the wrong car. Sometimes the vehicle would only be described by the engine size, so no trim options were available to choose from.

There is no perfect way to do this, so I'm just leaving it up to the users to:
1) Know what make/model/trim their cars are
2) Know what their EPA fuel economy listing is.

I'm assuming that if they are members of this site they should know the most basic information about their cars.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rolling Averages? dunderhi Fuelly Web Support and Community News 7 08-17-2015 11:42 AM
More input options? Scotties Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 06-27-2012 07:06 AM
CSV import problem. MNellis Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 02-14-2011 08:14 AM
More graphs? jonsands Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 07-08-2009 02:54 AM
New Jersey in the house! SVOboy General Fuel Topics 12 11-25-2006 01:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.