TIME field missing in Add a fuel-up - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #1

TIME field missing in Add a fuel-up

The ADD A FUEL-UP screen omits a field that identifies the TIME of the fill-up which DOES appear when you edit an entry. I don't know how it is used, but for consistancy, both screens should be the same.

machapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
pb

Yeah, I hear you. It's nice to see all things you can change in all places, but in this case we have two competing things we're thinking about: 1.) keep the form as simple as possible, 2.) keep things consistant. We feel like keeping that form simple trumps consistency in this case.

Here's our thinking: for 90% of fuel-ups the time isn't important. The date is what matters. For those few cases where time is critical, such as two or more fuel-ups on the same day, folks can edit the fuel-ups to add the time. It's a little extra work for them in those cases, but it means less things for everyone to think about and fill out for the majority of cases.

If time is critical to you every time in all cases, you'll have some extra work to do, which is a bummer. But you can keep in mind that you're helping speed things up for a good number of other Fuelly users.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

I never thought the time needed to be there either.
bill14224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

Couldn't you program the mobile site to auto populate the time field in the database from the phone's clock. You could just poll the clock when the person clicks 'Fuel Up'. You wouldn't even have to display it on the mobile site, just collect the data. If they are not adding the entry when they actually fill up then they could go to the full site and manually edit the time.
stratrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
pb

That's a good idea stratrider, and it's been on my to do list for a while. (We should do it for SMS fuel-ups too.) I think we can safely assume that people are using those two methods of fueling at the time of the fuel-up.

We'll have to rely on people's timezone offset setting in their profile, and not everyone sets that. But that's easy to adjust if you notice the times are off.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
pb

It took a while but I finally marked this off of my to-do list today. If you fuel-up via Fuelly Mobile or SMS it will set the current time as the fuel-up time. If you have a time offset set in your set preferences, the time will be adjusted using that.