Tire sizing odometer modifier? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Tire sizing odometer modifier?

Adding a percentage modifier to odometer readings automatically. Could an option be added to the vehicle profile to add or subtract a certain percentage of miles during the fuel up?

I would like revisit BDC's July 19, 2009 suggestion of adding a percentage modifier to odometer readings automatically. My truck has bigger diameter tires than then it was sold with stock. In my case the odometer shows that I went 7% less distance than I actually did. When I add a fuel up I have to first calculate the correct mileage then go to the web site to add. This feature would automatically add or subtract X% to the mileage when doing a fuel up. Many users would just leave this blank and their mileage would be calculated without modification.

BuggyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

I don't know about your vehicle, but you can often register the wheel size in the engine management computer by using the OBDII port, hence the Odo would be correct for subsequent tanks.

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
pb

Sorry, we're not going to add this one to the site. It's just one of those things that comes up very rarely, so we don't want people to have to make a decision about it every time they add a fuel up.

Some of the questions we ask ourselves when we consider new features are listed here in the FAQ, and I don't think this one passes the first two: not enough people will use it, and it will complicate how people use the site now.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

I get what your saying about only a small percentage of users will use the feature, but to clarify, the feature would only affect how people use it when they add a new car. Not every time they fill up. I forsee this being done only once, when the car is being added (or when editing the car's profile). It could be optional just like engine type. And a "more info" note could explain it.
BuggyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
pb

oh ok, yeah I see, but I still think it's too rare and too fiddly. If you go 20 miles the site should record 20 miles. It's just too odd and prone to misunderstandings to add or subtract percentages from distances. You could change tires several times over the life of a vehicle, and then each time the percentage changes slightly. So the distance would change in odd ways.

I completely understand why you want the feature, but it's not going to work here.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

I might suggest BuggyMeister that you go to a Speedometer shop and have the correct tail shaft sprocket installed. That would correct your speedometer and your odometer readings and eliminate the need for the feature your asking Fuelly to add for you. The last I checked it wasn't particularly expensive item and will aid you in other areas such as maintenance schedules and the like.
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

This would also be nice for people that use slight different sized winter tires. I'm going to have this problem when I put my winters on. They are about 2.5% larger, so this will effect my MPG.
tommyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

@tommyz: Assuming it's the Mazda you're talking about, can't you adjust this via the ODBII when you put your new tyres on? That'd keep your car's odometer correct.
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #9

Bringing up an old post... but i think this would be a great idea. I run a size larger tire on my truck and my odo is off by 3.3%, and i do not wish to spend the money to go to a shop just to have my odo fixed every time i put new tires on. Lot sof people i know who have trucks run bigger size tires than stock, it is not as rare as you might think. Just my 2 cents...

totalbrutal is offline   Reply With Quote