Total Cost of a Fill Up - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Total Cost of a Fill Up

Fill up cost entry, total cost field instead of cost per gallon or litre.

I am using Fuelly in the UK, working OK most of the time, though I get the odd time when the results are in US units, eg on my iphone.

Anyway, my question, when I input a fill up I get the chance to enter the price per litre, but the receipts I usually get only show the total price, not the price per litre. I know it's on the pump, but I usually update fuelly after I get home. Is it possible to add a 'Total Cost' field to save me having to reach for the calculator?

malkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
pb

That's too bad about UK receipts. I had no idea. Here in the US all receipts that I've ever received include the price/gallon. It'd be interesting to see scans of UK receipts from different areas to see if it's standard or a regional thing.

We're extremely hesitant to add another field to the fuel-up form. Every addition we make means more chance for user input error, and more education required to use the form. The fact that we have two different options for fueling up (tripometer vs. odometer) is a constant source of confusion, especially for new users. I can imagine that offering a choice between price/fuel volume or total/fuel-up would be very convenient, but also very confusing. By selecting one and sticking with it, we've removed a potential problem.

But I sympathize with having to calculate every time, especially if the receipts don't contain the information. I'll give it some thought. Maybe there's a way to provide a calculator on the site, or find some way to minimize the confusion that adding another field would add.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #3

I've seen receipts without price per litre and even the amount of litres (United Petroleum stations in Sussex) grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've taken to checking the receipt when i'm not using a regular filling station.

It helps if you have a passenger, get them to note down details whilst you go and hand over your hard earned loot :-)
udtrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

I always carry a pen and notepad in the car to take notes in case of emergency. I use the pen to write the odometer reading on the receipt when I purchase fuel. Perhaps you could just develop the routine (habit) of writing the price per litre on your receipt at the fueling station, much the same as I do with the odometer reading.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

This also goes back to just using your phone to snap a pic of the pump when you are done. lol
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Malkie, please could you name and shame the garages that don't include the information on the receipts? I have never heard of this before in my (many!) UK fuel-ups. I've used Morrisons, Asda, BP, Sainsbury's, Tesco, ELF, Jet, Esso, Texaco, Fina, and small independents. Every receipt without fail contains the pence per litre figure! I'd be interested to know who to avoid.

You need to make sure that you get a receipt, though: if you only get a visa/mastercard confirmation slip (that says "this is not a receipt" on the top) then this only contains the amount and not any details about how much fuel you bought or p/l. Just wanted to check it wasn't that that is happening? At Morrisons for example you never get a receipt without asking, and they roll their eyes and have to wait before the mastercard slip has finished printing before their tills will let them press another button to print me a receipt.

mrtickle is offline   Reply With Quote