Town & Country wrong engine. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #1

Town & Country wrong engine.

Town & Country needs more engine choices.

I entered my 2003 Town & Country w/ FLEX fuel and fuelly automatically set it as a 3.8L V6, but it's not, it's a 3.3L V6.

There is a 3.8L option on The LXi I think, but the 3.3L is more common.

rastoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #2

They do have the correct engine choices for the Dodge version of the same vehicle. Interesting, since I have a 2003 Caravan with just the 3.3 regular, not the FLEX, but they do an option for a 3.3 E85, just not labeled as FLEX but that should be the same thing. Hope it helps if its there for yours.

DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #3

I stand corrected. Your engine choices are radically different. FLEX is an option but it changes to a 3.8 after you submit it then. Sounds like a bug to me in the site. Oh well. Mine I had to choose the engine after I created the entry for the EPA setup, but at first I just had the choice of a V6 and that was it. Odd.
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
pb

You car is correct in the Fuelly system. It's listed as a Flex V6. However, you're seeing the EPA listings for the Town & Country which include the engine choice you list. We don't have any EPA listings for the Flex version of the car so Fuelly just chose the best match, and it's not correct.

If the EPA has estimates for that particular engine I can manually add them to the database. Otherwise, I can just remove EPA estimates for your car.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm still a little confused.

When I entered the info for my van I was only offered one engine choice and there should be 3, or two if you combine 3.3 standard and 3.3 flex.

Looking at the EPA site it shows that there is the 3.3L as an option (which again is more common than the 3.8):

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod..._Country.shtml

As DTMAce mentioned, the Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country and basically identical vehicles and the T&C should have the exact same engine choices as the Caravan.
rastoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
pb

rastoma, sorry about the confusion. When you create a vehicle at Fuelly, you get a bare minimum of choices. You can choose the type of fuel, body style, and number of cylinders. That's it. There's no displacement choice, no choice for automatic vs. manual transmission. No turbo vs. standard--none of that. We wanted to keep the vehicle-creation process extremely simple.

However, the EPA tracks all of the differences. So in addition to fuel, body style, and cylinders, they also give you engine size, transmission, and several other options. And because we offer EPA estimates, we have to show that level detail so folks can choose which estimates are best for them.

Now sometimes we don't have every single vehicle that the EPA has listed for one reason or another. But we try to take the model name and match it up as closely as possible with the information we have about your vehicle. If we only have one EPA listing in our database for your particular model, we assume that is your vehicle and make the match. 98% of the time that works great, but you have a car that doesn't match up with the EPA listings we have on file.

The point to take away is that we just don't track the same level of detail as the EPA for each car, and that's on purpose. But we do try to match up the car with EPA estimates and that's where the headaches are.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
pb

I'm trying to add the missing EPA numbers to our system and now I'm confused. To me, these two vehicles at the EPA website are identical:

2003 Chrysler Town and Country/Voyager/Grand Voy. 2WD and 2003 Chrysler Town and Country/Voyager/Grand Voy. 2WD. But the EPA estimates are different.

I've tried comparing the two pages, and they seem exactly the same to me. Maybe someone who knows this model better can spot a difference? Once I know which numbers to go with I'll add them here so you can choose the correct engine, rastoma.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
pb

ok, the Flex numbers were the same. So I just added the different gas numbers as "Option 1" and "Option 2".

Now you should be able to select the correct engine for EPA estimates. To do that, go to your vehicle page and click "Edit This Car". On the editing page click "change epa". From there you should be able to select the 3.3L Flex option.