Vehicles excluded from graph? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Vehicles excluded from graph?

Some vehicles appear to be being excluded from graph of mpg by vehicle - For Subaru Outback, my vehicle is being excluded from the graph - the MPG for mine is 45mpg (UK) which would appear to be an outlier, but is because it is a diesel.

I assume that this is because the graph is being limited to a number of standard deviations, as I see that one vehicle with an mpg of 19 is also excluded.

However, I think that the logic behind showing only a certain number of SD is flawed, as having diesel and petrol models on the same graph mean that it is not a normal distribution. On the Fiesta model, you can clearly see that there is a dual peak distribution, as you have a substantial number of diesels, and so the full range is shown. However, with the Outbacks, there only appear to be 2 diesel vehicles, so the secondary peak is not apparent.

Cheers,

Joel

jostlehim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
BDC
Registered Member

I recall PB saying that for vehicles with a large sample size, there must be at least two vehicles averaging the same mileage for that integer to be included in the vehicle average bar graph, or something along those lines.

BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
pb

Yep, that's it exactly BDC. So there probably isn't any other Subaru Outback driver getting that mileage. But if you head over the page that just shows 2009 Subaru Outbacks, there aren't enough to meet that requirement. You should see your fuel economy in the graph.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Doesn't this give a false picture of the range? I can understand varying the size of the classes? However, if you had 4 or 5 diesels, but which all had slightly different mileages, you would exclude this information. Perhaps you should look at graphing diesels separately from petrol, as there is such a difference in economies. It would probably be of more interest to see the range of values for diesels, than for the range of values of a particular year. Compare like with like...
jostlehim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
pb

You can use the filters at the top of the page to limit the page and the graph to just gas/petrol or just diesel if that's what you're interested in.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote