Volt AGAIN - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
BDC
Registered Member

Ciderbarrel, give me a break. Hybrids without a plug are absolutely not the same thing as a plug-in. They obtain all their energy from the gas that you put in them. There is no second energy source.

I don't see what the problem is. The developers put in a safeguard against entering bad data. You are putting in bad data and it is working exactly as intended. Giving only part of the truth is deceptive by definition. If you can't put 2 and 2 together after having it explained time and time again, then sorry, and good luck.

BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #12

AGAIN, no one is arguing that absolute COST cannot currently be calculated on this site, whether or not we provide KW/miles gained from re-gen miles + charging. Given the limitations of this site, we Plug-in folks are content for now comparing RANGE per tank of gasoline purchased. NONE of us is expecting the site to figure cost to operate this car. We get it. When I have more time, or interest, I'll ramp up my micro-economic OCD and provide absolute cost per linear foot rolled. We could dive down all the economic rabbit-holes that are tangent to running this car. Most of us folks that purchased this genre of vehicle are smart enough to know we've probably paid more to use less gas. Obviously the quest for max range on min gas is satisfying enough for us. Again, given the site's limitations, simple overall RANGE per gallon will suffice for now. BTW (>BDC), for what it's worth, I believe non plug-in hybrids do gain an extra measure of e-distance via regenerative braking, though acknowledging I might not be totally correct there. Bottom-line, I'll continue to enjoy driving my delusion past the gas station time and again, while acknowledging there are diesels out there that could run mpg circles around me on the highway during longer trips. Will avoid posting here to ease everyone's blood pressure. Everyone have a good one.

TeslaWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

Fuelly helps us monitor miles per gallon, not miles per dollar or miles per calorie of energy used. If I had a plug-in hybrid, I would want to know how my mileage compares to others with similar technology. Just as I want to know how my mileage in my Jeep compares to others with similar vehicles.
thehorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #14

MMUK -- regenerative breaking produces power from the motion of the car. Also, it is possible to drive a Prius a short distance, at low speeds, on battery power and use zero gas to move that distance.
Ciderbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #15

Also, I was joking before, but since you took my winky face seriously, I'll take the gloves off.

There IS a second energy source. THE BATTERY. They're not called hybrids for no reason. As I posted above, a Prius can move on BATTERY POWER ALONE, and can get battery back by regenerative breaking.

You are now arguing against your self when you said: "Argh no it doesn't. The gas takes you a few miles, the electricity takes you the rest. But you can only get an 'mpg' from the miles you drove under petrol power, but you are counting both without distinguishing."

You can not have it both ways that a plug-in can not distinguish how far it went on battery or gas alone but a hybrid, WHICH CAN MOVE ON BATTERIES ALONE, can and should be included on the website. It is the same thing. Both vehicles can move on battery power, get battery power from the breaks and can move w/o the ICE running. The only difference is people argue that they don't take into account of the electricity in the plug ins. Some people just do not care (and some can charge for free at parking lots). They want to track how far they went from gas fillup to gas fillup.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

TeslaWannabe -- I suggest you move your data (and your pageviews, which is ad revenue) to Ecomodder.com. They welcome all vehicles.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #17

Roger that and thanks. Happy Trails.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
BDC
Registered Member

Ciderbarrel, by your logic, we should not record the distance that you travel when coasting with the throttle shut. After all, the ICE is not powering the car at that time either, by your bright shining logic.

"Regenerative braking produces power from the motion of the car." How did the car get that motion to begin with? The gasoline that was put into the engine! How is this so hard to understand? A non-plug-in hybrid does not have any second energy source. ALL of the energy that is every used to power the car (whether the ICE is on or off!) originates in the gas that's in the fuel tank.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #19

y'all are seriously over-thinking this.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #20

Just wanted to share that I'd traveled 1967 miles on 12.897 gallons of gas, and that other mystical stuff I cannot seem to wrap my feeble mind about (though I seem to recall getting an 'A' in Calculus...). Was aiming for keeping overall snapshot simple, but some folks' rubber-bands seem to be wound a bit tight. For those wringing their hands and crying 'foul, fraud, deception!', carry on. Y'all are funny, but I've got stuff to do.