Volt AGAIN - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
KUD
Registered Member

Volt AGAIN

I see Prius Plug-ind are at 140 and the C-Max Energy is also listed, but still Fuelly is discriminating against the Volt. Please list the Volt or de-list the other Plug-ins.

KUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #2

Since it burns gasoline it should probably be on the list. #jussain

dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

>Since it burns gasoline it should probably be on the list

The following explains why fuelly can't cope with plug-ins (or indeed any other form of dual-fuel vehicle):

http://www.fuelly.com/faq/40/What-ve...work-at-Fuelly
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/volt

Here is where the Chevy Volts are on Fuelly.
DozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #5

we have a C-Max Energi, and when I questioned why they would not update their calcs (my Trips have steadily increased, with the last being 152+ MPGe, yet my 'average' mpg seems to remain unchanged on this site) we were told that Fuelly only tracks vehicles with a single tank (yup, got that), burning standard fuel (yup, we do that), and therefore would not track such vehicles as Prius Plug-in (yet they do) or C-Max Energi (which they sort of do), and especially not Volt.
TeslaWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
BDC
Registered Member

You understand that what you are posting is NOT "MPGe?" All you are posting is the equivalent of a falsified, misleading entry. I suppose you think that the electricity you used to travel the other 95% of those miles just came out of thin air and doesn't cost you anything or need to be recorded?

Is it really that hard to understand? Fuelly is not designed to support plug-in hybrids. The man is not keeping you down when Fuelly doesn't work the way you want it to. I guarantee you that George W Bush and Big Oil had nothing to do with the fact that Fuelly doesn't work that way.

All three of the plug-ins that you mentioned have lots of accounts on Fuelly. None of them work right. Nobody is discriminating.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

No need to be snitty. Yes, I fully understand the concept that electricity has a cost. More interested in the ability to cover ground while burning less gasoline - you know, the fuel part. I didn't purchase the Energi with the belief that it was the mac-daddy, end-all, most economically efficient answer to all our traveling prayers. Just interested in what can cover the ground we need to cover with minimal gas. Not sure from whence you're pulling the man, Bush and Big Oil references. And, yes, have also considered the negative ramifications of Li ion batteries, before you feel the urge to go there. It's a car. One tank. Four wheels. It burns gas. Just not so much. THAT'S the aspect that I would like considered. Whether it gets its boost from a good tail wind, low res tires, extra wax, or pixie dust should not mean its gas usage should be ignored. We buy X amount of gas. It takes us Y number of miles. Not misleading. Not falsified. Would that it was, it is not a Tesla. (however, if this was a DC-rigged vehicle, and I had a solar-powered station, then there indeed would be your thin air). Until then.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

>... We buy X amount of gas. It takes us Y number of miles....

Argh no it doesn't. The gas takes you a few miles, the electricity takes you the rest. But you can only get an 'mpg' from the miles you drove under petrol power, but you are counting both without distinguishing.

> ... Not misleading. ...

Of course it's misleading if you are only counting part of the fuel you are putting in.
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

MMUK -- by that argument, no hybrid should be included at all because you can not account for how far the batteries have moved the car because it isn't using the ICE to propel the car
Ciderbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

Agree to disagree on which data interests us...what matters so much to you might not get everyone else so bottled up - let the Plug-in hybrid folks compare their own results, (we've all long suspected there are batteries lurking about in there that take a charge from some mystical source) and interpret as they choose. Perhaps the bottom-line of how often we can zip past gas stations is all the data we seek. We're not trying to cry foul because a Lotus might have some unfair advantage cylinder-wise over a beater Yugo. If they don't own a particular vehicle with particular tech specs, they don't need to look if it causes their britches to get in a bunch. My choice of vehicle has allowed me to get about with minimal noise and stench of burning petroleum-based products - a feat worthy of sharing for those of us unwilling to step up to a Fisker or Tesla - yet. Some folks have an edge via aerodynamics, lo-res tires, yummy expensive spoilers, extra battery...whatever. So, yes, for some of us, while FULLY understanding that you are absolutely correct that electricity is involved, knowing we can travel Y miles on X gas without having to go to a full-on EV that costs $100k+, is interesting enough. Relax. We're not trying to sell the car to you, nor trying to get down to the quark level of energy $ourced. We are interested in the commonalities of each others results, in other words, enjoying the overall dish rather than pick apart each ingredient (though we know they're in there). No one is out to get you, or trying to deceive you. If you don't have one, and looking gives at ours you a mad-on, then don't look. I suspect Plug-in Hybrid owners haven't devoted much thought or passion to whatever it is you're driving. There are plenty other vehicle types here to peruse if this one gives you heartburn.