Where are the old cars!?! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Where are the old cars!?!

When I go to research vehicles, I no longer see cars older than a few years old. If you have the data, it would be really nice to see it!

phlyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyler View Post
When I go to research vehicles, I no longer see cars older than a few years old. If you have the data, it would be really nice to see it!
Thanks for the feedback. Is there a specific vehicle where you're only seeing a few years of past vehicles? We're working through some migration work still on classification of vehicles that were badly classified or just wrong in the prior version of Fuelly so some of this may be a side effect of that work at the moment. If you can give me a few examples I can research those specifically. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

This leads to the question of which vehicles should be listed. As an example, the Pontiac Sunbird was last produced in 1994. Is there any real reason to list it (No, I haven't searched for it)? Particularly when Pontiac as a make is extinct? True, the average age of American cars is now said to be up around ten or eleven years, so there is justification for listing at least some old models.

Models such as Honda's Rebel motorcycle have been in more-or-less continuous production for over twenty years, mostly unchanged, and since they are still in production it is proper to list them. How about the Chevrolet Corvette? It has been in production since the 1950s, under the same name, but the current models are not very similar to the old ones.

The original Dodge Dart was produced in 1960, and it went out of production many years ago. But now Chrysler/Fiat is selling a new car called a Dodge Dart which is quite different from the old one. Would one be listed as a Dodge Dart? or as a "new generation" Dart?

I will be castigated as a parochial American, but at least in the States there is little reason for listing makes such as Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and many others which are unobtainable here and have not been imported since the '60s. They are of only academic interest if they cannot be had. Yes, we can wonder why we cannot get cars with the fabulous mileage, but the fact remains we can't.

Just some random thoughts for you to consider.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlehman View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Is there a specific vehicle where you're only seeing a few years of past vehicles? We're working through some migration work still on classification of vehicles that were badly classified or just wrong in the prior version of Fuelly so some of this may be a side effect of that work at the moment. If you can give me a few examples I can research those specifically. Thanks!
The Subaru WRX and WRX STI are each listed to only 2012 at the oldest. I have a 2007 WRX and it was first in the US in 2002.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
This leads to the question of which vehicles should be listed. As an example, the Pontiac Sunbird was last produced in 1994. Is there any real reason to list it (No, I haven't searched for it)? Particularly when Pontiac as a make is extinct? True, the average age of American cars is now said to be up around ten or eleven years, so there is justification for listing at least some old models.

Models such as Honda's Rebel motorcycle have been in more-or-less continuous production for over twenty years, mostly unchanged, and since they are still in production it is proper to list them. How about the Chevrolet Corvette? It has been in production since the 1950s, under the same name, but the current models are not very similar to the old ones.

The original Dodge Dart was produced in 1960, and it went out of production many years ago. But now Chrysler/Fiat is selling a new car called a Dodge Dart which is quite different from the old one. Would one be listed as a Dodge Dart? or as a "new generation" Dart?

I will be castigated as a parochial American, but at least in the States there is little reason for listing makes such as Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and many others which are unobtainable here and have not been imported since the '60s. They are of only academic interest if they cannot be had. Yes, we can wonder why we cannot get cars with the fabulous mileage, but the fact remains we can't.

Just some random thoughts for you to consider.
I'm a fan of having everything be on fuelly. Yes, there are some considerations to be made about categorization, but, nothing should be left out. This includes the model-T someone drives on Sundays and the Skoda someone drives in Europe.

Fuelly is about data and I think the more data the better. I'd like to compare what's available in other countries and from other years. I have a 2007 and a 1979 that I both drive regularly and family has 2014 hybrids. I've also been to Europe and rented fiats and peugeots. It helps me make good driving decisions to have all the data in one place.

I only found Fuelly a few months ago and was very happy that something like it existed. If fuelly trims their database, I'm not sure I would continue using it.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

i come here frequently to list my mileage on my 3 vehicles and to research models that i'm intrested in.
i just checked yamaha super tenere's and there is only 1 listed...where did all the others go?
motorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

This site is used by international users and thats the way it should be, why restrict it to US only users only?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

some missing models on the motorcycle page include my BV500, my Aprilia Mojito custom 150, and my Genuine Stella 150
Railhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Another motorcycle missing after 2012 is the Triumph Sprint GT. No longer available in the US but alive and well in the rest of the world.
seangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

Josh and Matt graciously added several models of Edsel at my request but I think I still might be the only active user driving one. I drive a 1959 Edsel Ranger.

geekyguy is offline   Reply With Quote