Bio-diesel question - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Bio-diesel question

CFL's last a long time in my house too. We were having lights blow out on our lightpost in the front yard every few weeks. About 2 years ago I got fed up with it and replaced the bulbs with CFL's and haven't changed a bulb since. I would say that 90% of the lighting in my house is CFL. Pretty much the only lights that aren't CFL are the fixtures on dimmers.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
Registered Member

Having incentives to go electric or plug in hybrid isn't the same as being forced into it.

As for the grid, the power generation capacity is basicly there. Refining gasoline already takes a bit of electricity. Enough the propel an EV 25 to 35 miles per gallon made. Generally, using an EV will use the power freed up by the reduced gasoline production. Most charging will be done at night, off peak, when the grid isn't pushed to its limit.

EVs won't be showing up in everybody's driveway overnight. The Prius and Insight first came to market a little over 10 years ago, and hybrids are currently only about 3% of new sales. There'll be time to upgrade the grid. It needs to be done regardless of EVs on the road or not.

Oh, and another happy user CFLs. I've had some bad ones go early, same with the old bulbs though.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Pretty much the only lights that aren't CFL are the fixtures on dimmers.
Lutron markets a whole range of dimmers designed specifically for dimmable CFLs (I find the grand majority are dimmable now.)

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
Registered Member

Part of the reason for Egypt is our using food for fuel.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #25
Registered Member

how about we end subsidies to oil companies . does anyone believe for one second they wont try to sell to the biggest consumer in the world? and if a gallon of refined (value added) oil is imported it is taxed with NO consideration for cost. the us government COULD try to buffer spikes in price. but its inevitable that the price will rise ALOT. domestic produced fuel should be taxed as a business.... if i import 1 million dollars of fuel in any form it should be taxed as 1 million dollars, if i raise and refine 1 million dollars of fuel for domestic use at the cost of 1/2 million then it should be taxed as the 1/2 million remainder. just like anything else imported also the importer shall be responsible for testing EVERY load for safety. ie cost of one inspector and benefits. say 150k a year or more depending on 'cost' and number of inspectors. pull a sampling from every tank on a ocean going vessel and test it for US standards. say a container of toys come in they should be sampled for contaminates ie lead pcbs etc etc. as if its made here there are standards that we have to follow to make widgets, fuel, food that we have to ensure that incoming products meet. also.. no more company employed usda inspectors PERIOD but they shall pay for quality standards inspector 24/7 if needed if i sell 200 heritage turkeys they can come check out my facilities to see if they are 'clean' and approve me to retail them. at small producer if the facilities are clean thats all that can be inspected really. but if i slaughter 200,000 they would obviously need to have some one there to sample.
public bribery and corruption shall be changed to treason if you cannot trust your public officials there is a huge problem as we are currently deal with and shall be punished as such.
also and the government shall follow its own rules for us. ie military shall follow EPA regulations.
while i am rambling income tax shall be made a flat tax with a average/standard cost of living exemption(what 10-15k tax exempt), we have no business redistributing 'wealth' or taxing our people to survive.

well . as far as domestic SVO as fuel i believe it is taxed and subsidized in the factory farm environment not as much local farm. this shall be a business environment tax if i sell at $X and it cost or i re-invest $Y then $X-$Y= taxable or if negative its deferable loss. bio-fuel shall be taxed on a commercial basis. if you sell x fuel you should be taxed as a business and road taxed. i am pretty sure i can sell pure veggi oil on farm what you do with it is your business as long as i dont sell it as "road fuel" or represent it as such.
one problem being i can raise better non-GMO niche low cost input oil and get WAY more than fuel price for it as food. so thinking i can will retail sell said oil instead of $8-16 a pint niche food oil as $0.50 a pint($4 a gallon) fuel is well laughable.i will burn for my own use what cannot be sold at niche price and most likely as much wvo i can prcess on farm for my use and anyone that has set up that wishes to help out. when fuel is sold at REAL market price near $8-$10 a gallon we will talk .
stickyburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
Registered Member

Stickyburr, I agree with some of what you said and don't with some.
Flat tax idea, LOVE it!
As far as oil...drill baby drill! (why are others drilling off the coast of florida but the US can't??????)
Clean coal, THAT'S the future!
Hydrogen, again, that's the future!
Military following epa or other standards? If you knew the inside on it you would see why they can't. Standards that can be met without restricting the military are being followed now. One example is locked crat's vehicles(radio/codes etc) cops, NOBODY opens the door unless 1) they have clearance and 2) if they have a need-to-know. Not one or the other, BOTH. Highway patrolman can kiss my ***, he ain't getting in a crat's veh for NOTHING! That goes for scales, etc.
dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #27
Registered Member

This person makes his own bio diesel and talks about waste veggie oil

http://www.oilcrusher.5u.com/
skj_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Registered Member

I've seen his site before. Technically, he isn't making biodiesel. He's just thinning SVO out with gasoline. It works, as long as going 100% non-petro isn't your goal.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote