Myth Busters and UVO vs Diesel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Myth Busters and UVO vs Diesel

i didn't get the gist of it, but the guys compared the efficiency of UVO to diesel.

the test car was a full size mercedes benz diesel. same amount of fuel on the same track yielded ~30 mpg UVO and ~33 mpg diesel. ~10% decrease for substantially less money sounds great.

here's the thing that caught my attention: they claimed the UVO was UUVO(unmodified used veggie oil). so is it possible to simply poor and drive? surely it must have been filtered.

anyone else see this episode?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I did not see it, but by your description I suspect that they were trying to be extra clear that they weren't talking about biodiesel. It's distressingly common for people to think SVO, WVO, and biodiesel are the same thing. I doubt that they ran it unfiltered.

I'd like to build a vehicle that processes it entirely onboard, so I just pour any waste oil in and it gets completely filtered, the water settled out of it, etc. It seems that most people collect used oil, filter and settle it at home, and then put it in their vehicle.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

i got a buddy that is using it(used or waste veggie oil). he filters it twice and adds a "secret blend" proprietary chemical.

he is trying to find the secret and make his own. it seems the myth busters were able to skip the chemical additive, claiming no ill affects. my question is, what about long term affects?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

I'd like to do an onboard filtering system too. Right now I do the slow triple filter. I first run it through a 50 micron, then a 15 and finally a 1 micron. My oil is also pretty clean to start with as well - a good buddy gives it to me so he takes care to keep trash out of it.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i got a buddy that is using it(used or waste veggie oil). he filters it twice and adds a "secret blend" proprietary chemical.
What system is he using and what is the name/source of the "secret blend"? I have read a lot about WVO/SVO systems, but I have zero actual experience; still I expect I would have heard of it at least once.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Secret blend is probably varsol, kerosene, turpentine or gas
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I saw the episode of Mythbusters you are speaking of. I believe all they did was filter some waste peanut oil. Its been a while since I've seen that episode.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What system is he using and what is the name/source of the "secret blend"? I have read a lot about WVO/SVO systems, but I have zero actual experience; still I expect I would have heard of it at least once.
it's called "diesel secret" and it is an anti-gel agent. www.dieselsecret.com

he mixes:
50 gal VWO (clear, non-hydrogenated is preferred)
5 gal kerosene
2.5 gal gas
12 oz high octane cetane
8 oz diesel secret

he pays .15 to .25/gal for the VWO. also, he is working on water injection as well.

he told me you could call him for specifics. just PM me if that's what you'd like.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

I don't need to call, that's specific enough. I'm not doing any WVO projects right now, I'm just interested.

Putting all that stuff together sounds like as much work as making biodiesel out of the WVO.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

[QUOTE=bowtieguy;107629]

so is it possible to simply poor and drive? surely it must have been filtered.

[QUOTE]

Sure you can filter, pour and drive, however since you aren't getting the veggie oil up to operating temperature, it won't atomize as well as diesel. So, you may read about older diesels (which burn wvo better) like the mercedes doing "one-tank" systems, or engines like the Elsbett (which probably work). If I am not mistaken, the problem is that when the veggie oil doesn't atomize correctly it drips on the injector. Then it starts to cook on the injectors leading to bad spray patterns and eventually a toasted injector.

I think greasel had a "filter as you go" thing. The only problem is that you want to let the veggie oil settle for a couple of weeks. This can't happen if you are driving the vehicle. Letting the oil settle for a few weeks will save you on filters.

Also once the temperature starts dropping below 50, straight veggie oil will turn into a solid. This depends on how high much hydrogenation is in the oil. But ultimately it looks like butter by the time you hit the high 30's. This will not make your injection pump particularly happy.

just a thought......

AltWheels.org-2004 People's Choice Environmentally Friendly Renewable Fuel Vehicle / AltWheels 2005 pics#1 #2 / Altwheels 2006 pics#1

I don't do drugs but my truck does.....
Stage III Methanol Injector
Headshot Zod is offline   Reply With Quote