OMgz, such idiocy. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

OMgz, such idiocy.

Apparently, it's illegal to filter vegetable oil in your own home in Adams, NY. Jeezus... Next time I'm in NY, I guess I won't be able to filter those little bits of egg from my cooking oil. And cars... Probably can't be operated on private property, because, ya know, they're filtering fuel.

It's almost as bad as this.

P.s. If you ever do anything that's not completely legally sanctioned in ever single sense of the word, don't tell anyone about it.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
ELF
Registered Member

Good lord! with all the other crimes going on why are they wasting time on these people.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." - Abraham Lincoln.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Awesome quote!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, I thought it applied nicely. I just read that quote for the first time yesterday.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." - Abraham Lincoln.
This only applies if the politicians want the law to be repealed.

Just look at the war in marijuana users. Most Americans think it should be decriminalized. Most politicians don't. 8 in 10 Americans favor medical marijuana. Less than 1/4 of politicians in congress do. Marijuana criminalization is a bad law in every sense of the word, throwing people in jail for a 'crime' that doesn't hurt anyone and causes minimal(if any) damage to one's self or others, costing ~$20 billion/year in taxes to enforce on a federal level, and violating the constitutional rights of ordinary people in order to find users of the drug. Yet it's been strictly enforced for 7 decades and has yet to be repealed.

There's plenty of other examples of 'bad laws' that are strictly enforced which our politicians will not budge on, no matter what we the people think.

Back to the topic, in Britain, you will get stiff fines and/or imprisonment for running your car on tax free biodiesel or SVO.

The governments of the world want money, and this is one reason why alternative fuels and hyper efficient cars have been so slow to take hold; they bring less of your money to government and business interests in the long run.

It is no surprise state and municipal governments are going after people for using biofuels. They want that money and control, and will stop at nothing to have it.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
kps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I wonder how those prosecuting this sleep at night.
Drugs are bad, 'mkay?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -- C.S. Lewis

(I don't use (illegal) drugs myself, but busybodies abound on all sides, and the only way to get rid of the ones that annoy me personally is to get rid of the whole lot of 'em.)
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
at least in wisconsin you can mak up to 300 gallons of fuel every 3 months and not have to pay taxes on it, this is only if you are making it, it doesn't count if you are doing it as a coperative, or buissness, I'm pretty sure this law is nation wide, not just wisconsin, but I would have to check.
bio-diesel is seen as a homemade fuel.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

Re: the Wetzels

"Well, the Wetzels (family friends) did have an article printed about their VW in the local newspaper. It ran on page one of the lifestyle section, or whatever part of the paper runs those fluff pieces. I'm a live and let live kind of person, but I did suggest to them that it might not be wise to advertise their untaxed fuel usage in the newspaper like that. So in a small way, they had a warning that this might come down on them."

Idiocy is boasting that you have broken the law and then being surprised that you are charged with breaking the law.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Considering there aren't any hard and fast laws about this, I think the guberment's the bigger idiot here. Instead of accepting a the past due payment of ~$200 for road taxes, they ask them to post a $2,500 bond? What kinda BS is that. I mean, I'm definitely for flying under the radar, but there aren't many, or any, regulations about WVO use. If I call up the state or fedz and ask how I can pay for the road tax separately, since my car's running biodiesel, and I'll probably get bumped around for an entire day w/o answers.

edited for clarity