2015; Plug-Ins & Electric Cars, the fastest growing segment - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
2015; Plug-Ins & Electric Cars, the fastest growing segment

Despite cheap gas, Plug-ins and electric cars were the hottest, 2015, USA car segment; growing 30%, but still just 0.8% of the total car market.

Autoline Daily News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIypU4Uz5gw
__________________

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
At peak popularity, hybrids were around 3% of new sales, and diesels at 1%. If plug in sales growth continues, they should surpass the diesels next year.
__________________

trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,742
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
I believe its the biggest growing sector here too, 1.3% of market share, with around 85,000 so called "plug in" cars registered now, up from 3500 in 2013.
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
At peak popularity, hybrids were around 3% of new sales, and diesels at 1%. If plug in sales growth continues, they should surpass the diesels next year.
It took 13 years for the nearly 100% horse-to-automobile conversion. It would be interesting to see if today's ICE-to-EV conversion patterns the same early horse-to-automobile adoption curve.

Interestingly, this article contradicts the 13 year conversion claim...

"Then along came the combustion engine. But it took the automobile and tractor nearly 50 years to dislodge the horse from farms, public transport and wagon delivery systems throughout North America."

"Robert Thurston, a U.S. steam engine expert, opined in 1894, no less, that horses are not only "self-feeding, self-controlling, self-maintaining and self-reproducing, but they are far more economical in the energy they are able to develop from a given weight of fuel material, than any other existing form of motor."

https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/06/H...ung-Big-Shift/
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
It took 13 years for the nearly 100% horse-to-automobile conversion. It would be interesting to see if today's ICE-to-EV conversion patterns the same early horse-to-automobile adoption curve.

Interestingly, this article contradicts the 13 year conversion claim...

"Then along came the combustion engine. But it took the automobile and tractor nearly 50 years to dislodge the horse from farms, public transport and wagon delivery systems throughout North America."

"Robert Thurston, a U.S. steam engine expert, opined in 1894, no less, that horses are not only "self-feeding, self-controlling, self-maintaining and self-reproducing, but they are far more economical in the energy they are able to develop from a given weight of fuel material, than any other existing form of motor."

https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/03/06/H...ung-Big-Shift/
Wonder how that timeline compares to expansion of paved roads. The Model T also didn't arrive until 1908, which meant most cars until then were luxury items.

Plug in cars have only been currently available for 6 years, and 200+ mile BEVs are starting to come down from the luxury segment.
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Wonder how that timeline compares to expansion of paved roads. The Model T also didn't arrive until 1908, which meant most cars until then were luxury items.

Plug in cars have only been currently available for 6 years, and 200+ mile BEVs are starting to come down from the luxury segment.
BOTH excellent points!
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,742
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Pure electric car registrations are up 73% V's January last year in the UK. Big increase.
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Pure electric car registrations are up 73% V's January last year in the UK. Big increase.
WOW! Anxious to see how the GM Bolt does, once they ramp up production to distribute to more USA states, and when Tesla's Model 3 comes online.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,594
Country: United States
Location: north east PA
The Bolt was third in plug in sales for January, which tends to be a low month for the segment without the pressure of tax season. This is also without full national availability, and likely fully loaded models.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
trollbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
What's the difference 'tween an EV and a plug-in?
__________________

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Fuelly iOS Apps
» Fuelly Android Apps
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.