40% USA Corn used for biofuels / 2,500 gallons of water for 1 gallon of biofuel - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

This is a much better idea.
Home - SolarRoadways

Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Corolla View Post
This is a much better idea.
Home - SolarRoadways
Yeah. I saw this mentioned quite some time ago. Thereafter, never heard much about it.

From their website appears they haven't gotten any traction.

They may be too early. Perhaps their time will come after the installation of other solar panels has nearly maxed out.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

If you look at their website info. They're overwhelmed with people wanting this installed as their driveways. They say you don't want this now. Too many people come looky looing. They have a contract with Missouri to power a rest stop. The type of thing they want right now.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Solyndra was outpriced. Their technology had potential when PV costs were high, but the cost of traditional PV panels fell rapidly, making it obsolete.

The issue I have with solar roadways is that they put the panels on the ground while the sun is in the sky. More chances for something to get between the two. Then how does the cost of a panel that can be driven over by a commercial truck compare to putting regular panels up on various structures that shade the road.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Corolla View Post
If you look at their website info. They're overwhelmed with people wanting this installed as their driveways. They say you don't want this now. Too many people come looky looing. They have a contract with Missouri to power a rest stop. The type of thing they want right now.
A highway rest stop will teach 'em a lot.

Although, I wonder why, if there's a sales demand what's the harm with replacing those private driveways for homeowners at the same time? That's leaving $$$ on the table.

It seems like they're hell bent on becoming a public sector solution and ignoring the private sector demand.

In Silicon Valley terms, when demand or the utility of your product comes from an unexpected direction that calls for a "pivot" in the original business plans to grab that $$$.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post

The issue I have with solar roadways is that they put the panels on the ground while the sun is in the sky. More chances for something to get between the two. Then how does the cost of a panel that can be driven over by a commercial truck compare to putting regular panels up on various structures that shade the road.
That "something" that gets between the sunlight and the road panels is dirt and other debris.

And, you're right. Does the added cost to make a solar panel strong enough to withstand a truck's weight worth it when there are already so many easier installation solutions?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
A highway rest stop will teach 'em a lot.

Although, I wonder why, if there's a sales demand what's the harm with replacing those private driveways for homeowners at the same time? That's leaving $$$ on the table.

It seems like they're hell bent on becoming a public sector solution and ignoring the private sector demand.

In Silicon Valley terms, when demand or the utility of your product comes from an unexpected direction that calls for a "pivot" in the original business plans to grab that $$$.
People said they were interested. That doesn't mean they would pay what this likely costs, and the company likely doesn't want any leaks out on that potential price at this point.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

I think solar power is a great thing, for individual usage, like instal on the roof of homes, or buildings to produce a lot of energy for each place, but farms seem to be crazy for me. Ft. Carson has small stations maybe an acre in size, but several different locations, including on a few different buildings, but we also have a very small coal power plant, and I mean really small, a single stack, and maybe 5x1 cooling tower. I grew up near an ethinal plants, coal plant, and a nuclear electricity plant. I will say this, I've toured each and worked on a ethinal plant, it's pretty cool with what they put in there. But nuclear fusion is were it should be at
Redneckrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #19
Registered Member

Modern homes with solar roofs are so efficient and generate so much electricity, that you actually earn money from your own house by selling the electric back to the grid. Not surprisingly, the government hates this idea, and keeps trying to say that these houses are "too expensive" to build, which is a lie...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
...the government hates this idea, and keeps trying to say that these houses are "too expensive" to build, which is a lie...
Paul, I have a minute to spare. So, why do governments lie to the people they are elected to serve and protect?