Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

57 mpg? That's so 20 years ago

A quick little read.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/17/auto...c_hf/index.htm

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

great article. i have owned two 1990 civic's one being a HF and one being a hatch dx. now i drive a 94 dx coupe. mpg's were off the roof with those cars, but someone hit me in the quarter panel last week and it scared the crap outta me, thats the moment when i just thought how thin life is, and a heavier, safer car would be alot better, even if its not as fuel efficient. but i guessed i snapped out of it and kept my car

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
good for you

ya got back in the saddle, dang it.

geez it burns me when ninnies say "OH, you ride a (fill in the blank: motorcycle, airplane, small car, whatever)? They're so DANGEROUS!!!"

So... when people get in car accidents with big cars do they never ride in cars again? How about if they smash their truck/suv- never getting in wunna those again? Slip on the sidewalk- never walk on wunna those again? Slip in the tub- no more baths? Cut a finger in the kitchen- no more cooking?

wish they still made crxs... without the added hybrid crap
Died in a car accident- never live again?

I have a Civic 92 hb and its a litle car, there is no air bag, I know its dangerous but only because there are semis, big TALL suv, F150 with the grill exactly at my head level (if I do a face to face, will be the last things I kissed ), even those big luxuary sedan twice as big as me). MAYBE they are safers cars, for people who drives them, but definitely not for the average joe in is civic whose driving like grandma at 55mph whose getting past by daddy in is volvo s60 at 95mph+ on the cruise, talking on the phone doing bizness, in winter at -15degres, JAC*A*S.

SO instead of being part of the problem, I think I'm just gonna throw a roll cage in my 2100lbs VX with two race seats (when the moneys comes, and if its legal to have it in a road car...).
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

About that 57mpg Honda Civic Crx 1987, its only shows 1 thing, automakers are laughing at us real hard and we seems to loving it and keep on buying like we didnt had choice.

Anayway I'm not trading my vx until a new car (fully gasoline) can beat my MPG, until that, I will rebuilt the engine if needed, but with less then 140k miles on it, I doubt it will be soon.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'd think that I would prefer to have a full cage and racing belts, helmet etc. over air bags.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

I am really enjoying my 89 CRX DX. The worst I've ever gotten from it is 31mpg. Normally I get about 41mpg. The best I've ever gotten is 52mpg, but I could never drive like that daily.

I do feel pretty vulnerable in it, though. But I'm used to driving an F250SD and a 98 Z28. Both much sturdier.

I suppose it's the price you pay to not pay the price (of gas).
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

yea at red lights suv tops of the tires are even with the bottom of my chevettes window. a semi tire goes almost midway up the side window. its why i installed an extremely loud airhorn on that car and really bright headlights.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

57 mpg is great but the cost can be deadly

I CAN'T DRIVE 55 !!!!!

That Van Halen song says it all - literally. I have seen daredevils in Geo Metro's and other teeny tiny cars driving 15 to 20 mph slower than the prevailing traffic the past couple of months and I wonder how long it will be before someone in an SUV or truck shortens the back of their car to Smart ForTwo length. Hey, it can and probably will happen.

The only vehicles that should routinely be driving 55 are the big rigs. They are easy to see and they benefit the most from the slower speed.

I would love it if the 55 mph national speed limit was brought back and strictly enforced. Then I would feel safe driving that speed. And I would get the 55 mpg that my VX is capable of. Wouldn't it be nice?

Until then, I'm going to continue keeping up with traffic to keep my *** safe (and my donkey, too).
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
I CAN'T DRIVE 55 !!!!!

That Van Halen song says it all - literally. I have seen daredevils in Geo Metro's and other teeny tiny cars driving 15 to 20 mph slower than the prevailing traffic the past couple of months and I wonder how long it will be before someone in an SUV or truck shortens the back of their car to Smart ForTwo length. Hey, it can and probably will happen.

The only vehicles that should routinely be driving 55 are the big rigs. They are easy to see and they benefit the most from the slower speed.

I would love it if the 55 mph national speed limit was brought back and strictly enforced. Then I would feel safe driving that speed. And I would get the 55 mpg that my VX is capable of. Wouldn't it be nice?

Until then, I'm going to continue keeping up with traffic to keep my *** safe (and my donkey, too).
it is back and has always been here, ever wonder why all 2 lane country roads are 55? used to be like 70 or 75... if you think about it, interstates do save gas. i mean can you travel thru any state or the entire length of the us without hitting a stop sign or red light without going on the interstate? id say its impossible
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Supporting Member

I feel safe driving any speed in our CRX HF really.

It is undeniable that cars from those days aren't as safe as new cars, but I guess it's all a matter of how safe you want to be, just like what all you want to insure yourself for and how big the chance is that something actually happens.

I feel that if I drive really pro-active I am probably safer that way than a lot of other people doing who-knows-what while they are driving. I check my rear view mirror a lot and look far ahead to estimate what will happen. This is also good for the gas mileage

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote