6 people in a Geo Metro? Crossing that bridge tomorrow! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If people drove in tunnels with the air in the tunnel moving with the cars then it would reduce the air drag.

With 7 people in the car you should have the windows open - that is a lot of people breathing a lot of moist air out. Our skin evaporates a great deal of moisture all the time. It has to go somewhere. I think with the excess weight you were probably squatting the rear suspension pretty good and throwing the alignment out a bit as well as the CV Joint angles were probably way out of wack too.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Smile Another Road Trip!

Well in approximately 12 hours, I'm going on a road trip from Regina Saskatchewan, to Wynyard Saskatchewan, and then finally Edmonton Alberta with 2 other people in the Geo:

Attachment 124

I was hoping to fabricate a Kammback and rear wheel skirts for the journey, but it's been so freaking cold out (btw, I just returned from a 24.6mpg trip of getting my dad some cigarettes in 5*F weather ).

Slow driving is not really an option as total estimated time is 10 hours, 8 minutes, and 550.98 miles (assuming 54-55mph average speed). Not to mention I'll have 2 nagging passengers too. Looks like drafting 2-3 seconds behind semis is the only way to get decent fuel economy in the next few tankfuls. I'll be back hanging around gassavers.org on the 7th. Have a fun week!

- Peakster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edmonton Trip.gif
Views:	229
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	111  

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

Whenever I take a roadtrip with my friends we always take my car. I usually get 41-44mpg on road trips. It's always funny when they fall asleep and I speed up and they slide around on the back seat until they hit something and wake up.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Lightbulb Forced Air Induction?

Well the past 5 fillups in my Geo killed my 90 day fuel economy due to the road trip. My air intake was reading 25*F, the engine was running at 4000+ rpm, and 90% of the vehicles that passed me on the highway were undraftable as my Geo could barely do 75mph with the gas floored.

Slow driving would have been excruciating during this 1,600+ mile all inclusive trip, so it is clear that I need to do some aero mods pronto.

But then I got thinking about another thing: What about a makeshift 'supercharger' for my car? A truck passed me on the highway and it was about 7 minutes later with the gas floored and the speedometer pegged around 78mph that I realized that I coudn't keep up to it. Would something like a high-speed fan inside the air intake hose (one that I can manually turn on/off from a switch) help with make my highway acceleration more responsive? What ways could Forced Induction be used to help performance and FE? Anyone else tried this type of air intake?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote