86% see need for more 35+ mpg cars - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Tuggin at the surly bonds

86% see need for more 35+ mpg cars

U.S. Consumers Frustration Grows with Lack of Fuel Efficient Car Choices

Quote:
86% of consumers think that vehicles from U.S. and foreign carmakers achieving a fuel efficiency of 35 miles per gallon (mpg) or more should be available to them inside the U.S. This translates to a potential market of at least 2.5 million U.S. consumers for the introduction of fuel-efficient cars currently sold outside the country.
...and:
U.S. ?stuck in reverse? on fuel economy
Quote:
CSI found that the number of vehicle models sold in the United States that achieve combined gas mileage of at least 40 miles per gallon actually has dropped from five in 2005 to just two in 2007 ... Overseas, primarily in Europe, there are 113 vehicles for sale that get a combined 40 mpg, up from 86 in 2005.

?These cars sold in Europe meet or exceed U.S. safety standards, so there is no reason why they shouldn?t be made available to U.S. consumers,? said CSI President Pam Solo.
It's what everyone here already knows, lives, and breathes ... so to speak. They even think so in Michigan.

Quote:
80% would support "Congress in taking the lead to achieve the highest possible fuel efficiency as quickly as possible" by raising the federal minimum standard to 40 mpg.
But of course, as they always do, the automakers' CEOs will whine and dine congress, and feed them the rhetoric they'll use to convince their constiduents that "it jus ain't good fer 'merika."
Big 3 face heat in D.C. over global warming

Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
CSI found that the number of vehicle models sold in the United States that achieve combined gas mileage of at least 40 miles per gallon actually has dropped from five in 2005 to just two in 2007 ... Overseas, primarily in Europe, there are 113 vehicles for sale that get a combined 40 mpg, up from 86 in 2005.

?These cars sold in Europe meet or exceed U.S. safety standards, so there is no reason why they shouldn?t be made available to U.S. consumers,? said CSI President Pam Solo.

This is the part that bugs me. Why does Europe get all the "good" cars.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Wonder where that 86% has been hiding all this time?
Much of that 86% probably can't afford new cars, and therefore have to settle with those inefficient vehicles that can commonly be obtained 2nd hand. Those wealthy enough to buy new generally don't have fuel economy as their main concern.

It comes as no surprise that fuel efficient, reliable vehicles like Toyotas and Hondas retain their value better. There is huge demand for them on the 2nd hand market.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Wonder where that 86% has been hiding all this time?
Standing there pumping gas into their cars where they probably took the poll.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
This is the part that bugs me. Why does Europe get all the "good" cars.
Another one from the Stuck in Reverse article:
Quote:
Adding insult to injury is the fact that nearly two-thirds of the 113 highly fuel-efficient models that are unavailable to American consumers are either made by U.S.-based automobile manufacturers or by foreign manufacturers with substantial U.S. sales operations, such as Nissan and Toyota.
And you wonder why detroit can't stop driving their companies into the ground? Hint: Their top execs have a price, and it isn't paid in their salaries or sales bonuses.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hidden Info

What the article doesn't say is if the 86% is willing to drive the cars themselves. They probably want everyone else to, "for the benefit of the environment".

Probably how the survey went:

Surveyor:

"Do you think there should be more cars available to buy that offer an EPA highway rating of greater than 35 miles per gallon?"

Respondent:

"Sure, yeah -- that sounds like a good idea"...all the while thinking to themselves, "I'm not trading in my Jeep Commander HEMI on one, though".

RH77
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

I"ll have to call BS on this. The buyers actions speak louder than words. I think the poll must of been conducted from people when they were leaving An inconvience truth. Top 10 best selling cars only 2 had highway epa above 35 MPG last year. 53.6% were pickups 17.6% have EPA highway above 35. I think the general though is that if it get 30 MPG Highway that's great mileage

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...t_sellers.html
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #8

First, price drops do speak loudly to consmers, even to those of us who think of ourselves as skinflints and iconoclasts. There are 2 kinds of people: those who put people into 2 categories and those who don't.

It's also well known that marketing research only proves what respondents are somewhat likely to say on a survey.

And then there are statistics...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
It's really to bad that exotic cars like geo's and civics are out of everyones price range, I meen, even mini coopers are $18,000 with the 2nd generation modles getting 40mpg, it's to bad you would risk looking like some poor hillbilly... I love sarcasim.
Amaricans don't belive cars can get 40mpg, EVER, I had a number of people at a party a while back arguing with me that the Yaris could get 40mpg "you can't build a car that gets that kind of mileage" I was suprized as well that they build cars that get that poor of mileage, but that wasn't the point they were trying to make, they own a car that gets 25-30mpg, and belive that is the best that can be built.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
New Civics really are out of the price range of most ordinary people. $18,000 is a lot of money to spend on a car for your lower middle class American, even if it's a Mini cooper. Joe Average making $30k a year is typically going to be able to afford a $5,000-10,000 car if he's lucky. Your working poor usually have to go much cheaper(and with low demand for them, you don't get much cheaper than beat up old land yachts, pickups, and SUVs, at least as far as purchasing price is concerned). There is reason that the average age of our current fleet of onroad vehicles is 9 years.

When gas prices get over $2.50/gallon, in my area, demand for old Metros, Tempos, CRXs, Civics, Corollas, and the like in good working order and emissions-compliant get so high that those who can afford to buy used cheap cars suddenly find themselves out of the price range of these vehicles.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote