A letter to the editor in my local newspaper... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

A letter to the editor in my local newspaper...

I was waiting for my wife yesterday, so I was reading the local newspaper. I got to the "Letters to the Editor" section and found this little gem....

Being a giving type of person, I wanted to share some information with some of the drivers in the Antelope Valley.

First, I wanted to let you know about a mechanism below your right foot as you are sitting in the driver's seat. This is called an accelerator pedal, also known as the gas pedal. The purpose of this pedal is to make the vehicle move. The farther down you push it, the faster the car goes.

Now that we have that mastered, if you look at the dashboard in front of you, you will see a clock-faced gage with a red needle and numbers on it. This is called a speedometer. This will tell you how fast you are traveling.

With these two things in mind, I would like to bring to your attention to these signs on the side of the road. These signs are white with black letters and numbers on them. Thewe would be called "speed limit" signs. All the tests and studies have been done, and they determined this is the speed that it's OK to go on that particular section of the road.

Now, the idea here is to look at these signs as you motor down the road, then match the numbers on the sign to the numbers on the speedometer I talked about earlier. Now I do realize sometimes this is not always possible in between all the cellphone calls you need to make while traveling, but plese try and do your best.

I sometimes have an urge to do my best Jeff Gordon impression and wan to do a little bump and run, but for now I will try and stay patient and not call you too many bad names.

Hope it helps.

**** **** (name removed to avoid possible embarrasment to writer)
Palmdale

I guess we haven't learned anything yet....

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
DRW
Registered Member

Yeah, I remember when I was impatient and self riteous. I'm glad I grew up.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

All hypermilers have at one point been "that guy" who was trying to pass the guy who was "only doing the speed limit" in a 50mph zone. Man am I glad that I outgrew that phase. We all are truly enlightened, aren't we?
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I was "that guy" when I was 17, then I outgrew it for a couple years and went the speed limit or below, then was even faster for a couple years, then I bounced around a bit and eventually settled into somewhere in-between. I wish I had the patience to drive as slow as I did when I was 18.

Now I don't just pulse & glide my car, but my patience too. I pulse to a decent speed, glide down to the slowest I can handle, rinse & repeat...and it bothers me when someone jumps out in front of me and ruins my P&G mojo.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

OH NO! don't lose the mojo!!!

http://www.niallfleming.co.uk/images...tions/mojo.jpg

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

back on topic. this proves that technique wins over mods. point being that one doesn't have to be an extreme hypermiler to get good gains...

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2528

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote