A little winter fun... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

A little winter fun...

After making a comment about Ice Racing, I was reminded of this video...

[yt]5qEITe0hUhE[/yt]

enjoy!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

it is funny that many places outside of the US (maybe even in the US) use the chevettes for racing.

friend of mine has a chevette with a long tube header (he had it ceramic coated). he plans to replace the motor with one out of a honda fit and mega squirt it.

it is a long term project but it would be funny to see. he hopes to sell the header on ebay if he ever gets around to the engine swap.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

That was an awesome video. Smooth driving won out.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
it is funny that many places outside of the US (maybe even in the US) use the chevettes for racing.
Were they exported in mass quantities (when new), or are these cars shipped overseas just because they make nice little sleds?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

I know that my Chevette was a surprisingly good handling car, especially with a set of Michelins and heavy-duty shocks. Could have been really fun with a bit more power...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Were they exported in mass quantities (when new), or are these cars shipped overseas just because they make nice little sleds?
GM made Chevettes all over the world...in England they were Vauxhall Chevettes, in Japan the Isuzu I-mark (a few differences, but a distinct resemblence), and in Brazil up until the mid '90s as Chevrolet Chevettes.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

yea, what joebob said.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

That was great.
1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

as a owner of one yes on snow they handle great it actually takes effort to make the *** end slide out if you have good tires.

europe also known as opel kadett

canada its known as the acadian

we also have a pontiac T-1000 (sounds futuristic and fast but it not lol chevette with pontiac emblem)

ours were modeled after brazil's and the 90's brazil chevettes look VERY close to our ford tempos.

GM made the thing in the US to compete (back in 1976) with the compact imports flooding in, civic, rabbit, etc but wanted to keep people intersted so they made it RWD just like every other american car up to that point. and they wanted it to be cheaper than anythign out at the time (which it was which is why it sold so good)

lol i so want to move to canada and have a beater chevette to do that ice racing. looks like so much fun racing with other chevettes.

its always scary when multiple times you almost cause a wreck when someone sees more than one chevette out and about. i passed one goign the other way and the truck following the chevette nearly hit a light pole looking at both of ours..

and yes i do take mine to autoshows and get a nice cluster of people around it. either A first car B first brand new car they bought outa college or C rental car.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i passed one goign the other way and the truck following the chevette nearly hit a light pole looking at both of ours..
When I bought my '79 in 1988, Chevettes were the most common car on the road, and in junkyards. By '95 when I sold mine (one of the only cars I've ever owned that still ran good when I sold it) they were getting scarce. Now I hardly ever see one, even here in California!