A Soldier's Christmas - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

A Soldier's Christmas

please no hateful return posts. i am certain some will appreciate this...

http://www.asoldierschristmas.com/

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bowtieguy,

I will never buy into the awful lies that our military is fighting for our freedom. I find that silly poem nothing but propaganda.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I read a poem thanking soldiers for our freedom, which certainly did not result from peace (regardless of whether or not any current action is related to preserving our freedom or not). Soldiers paid for our freedom and I am blessed with that freedom every day. I also support our current soldiers regardless of whether I support any particular war or not.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

No, they may not be fighting for our freedom, but they are fighting for the freedom of the people of Iraq. Think about where we might be right now if France didn't help us back in 1776.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

freedom, yeah right freedom isnt a regional thing, its worldwide peace.

when someone take a bigger piece of the cake, there is always someone unhappy (hungry if u can read between the line )
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
Bowtieguy,

I will never buy into the awful lies that our military is fighting for our freedom. I find that silly poem nothing but propaganda.
this is EXACTLY what i asked not to hear. as previously discussed, if the topic offends you, don't click on it/read it/respond to it.

since you answered it...

propaganda: dessemation of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people.

what does THAT have to do with paying respect to those that have sacrificed there lives or lifestyles for the freedoms of others. YES!, that includes past, present, and future.

whether one supports military agenda or not, our troops SHOULD be supported. that poem was and is not limited to our current military standing. but, anti-war protesters forget that some past wars WERE IN FACT necessary(i won't get into our current one--that's not the intent here).

i remember seeing a protestor's sign(on tv) before the US entered WWII. it said "leave hitler alone, he hasn't attacked us." some of us realize that war can be an avenue to peace.

anyway, back on topic. thanks to any of you here that have served, and God's speed to those serving away from home now!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
freedom, yeah right freedom isnt a regional thing, its worldwide peace.

when someone take a bigger piece of the cake, there is always someone unhappy (hungry if u can read between the line )
this is PRECISELY why military posture is used. as for the poor(hungry), name me even one nation that has them not.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
this is EXACTLY what i asked not to hear. as previously discussed, if the topic offends you, don't click on it/read it/respond to it.
No, you asked for "no hateful return posts." What part of my post was hateful? In this time of US imperialism, I simply saw that poem as propaganda that perpetuates a false reason for being in Iraq or Afghanistan. I won't be part of the blind American minions that follow the herd. That's exactly why the US Empire invaded Iraq and Afghanistan and why we're stil illegally occupying both countries: because no one questioned Bushevik and his cronies motives. Would you have posted a link to that poem if there was no controversial, unpopular, illegal, immoral, unjustified war/occupation going on? I doubt it.

Quote:
propaganda: dessemation of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. what does THAT have to do with paying respect to those that have sacrificed there lives or lifestyles for the freedoms of others. YES!, that includes past, present, and future.
1) Propaganda has EVERYTHING to do with "paying respect" to those that have participated in an illegal, immoral invasion and occupation because it perpetuates the false notion that that they are involved in a legal and just cause.

2) I disagree with your premise that ANYONE fighting in and occupying Iraq and Afghanistan is sacrificing their lives or lifestyles for the freedoms of anyone: me, you, Iraqis, or Afghans. They are only sacrificing themselves for the US Empire and the corporations that profit from these baseless, illegal, immoral invasions and occupations.

Quote:
whether one supports military agenda or not, our troops SHOULD be supported. that poem was and is not limited to our current military standing. but, anti-war protesters forget that some past wars WERE IN FACT necessary(i won't get into our current one--that's not the intent here).
So even though our present military agenda is unconstitutional, illegal, immoral and based on a pack of lies, we should still support our troops? If you really believe in "my country right or wrong" then, that's very disturbing.

"i won't get into our current one--that's not the intent here." Yes, it WAS your intent to include the current "war". You said so in your fourth sentence/paragraph.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

What I think is being lost here is that whatever the mission, whether or not we personally agree with it or not, our soldiers are our young men & women. They're our sons, daughters, friends, and neighbors. Maybe we don't support why they're there, but how can we not support the troops themselves?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Maybe we don't support why they're there, but how can we not support the troops themselves?
good point!

and i, nor cems70, nor anyone else has a legit answer to that!