A suggestion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

A suggestion

While it won't bring back a single life, how about everyone drive MORE defensively for a while.

Drive with consideration and a small dose of compassion.

In a million miles the only serious injury ever incurred in my driving was to me.
If we as a global community just took a few seconds longer to relax and watch out, WE can save lives that would otherwise have been wasted.

The greatest gift one can give is their life for a total stranger. We have seen this now as we have from the beginning. While one life is not another, a life saved is worth a lot, in some cases all there is left of the person who was the savior.

The thought should humble all of us.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

I dunno, Gary. You're asking for an awful lot. But, okay.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
While it won't bring back a single life, how about everyone drive MORE defensively for a while.

Drive with consideration and a small dose of compassion.
Consideration is a casualty of the loss of perspective people suffer in traffic. Getting 50 ahead of a car doing 70mph gives a false sense of greater progress, but a driver stuck in traffic may feel compelled to do something.

While we are on the subject of consideration, I would encourage people who have a car behind them flashing their lights to get out of the way. Your car may be comfortable, but it isn't a bed and you should wake up or get off the phone, remember that the purpose for which roads were built is quick and convenient travel, and let other people do that.
frugalkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalkoenig View Post
While we are on the subject of consideration, I would encourage people who have a car behind them flashing their lights to get out of the way. Your car may be comfortable, but it isn't a bed and you should wake up or get off the phone, remember that the purpose for which roads were built is quick and convenient travel, and let other people do that.
Couldn't agree more. Classic example of inconsiderate driving last week on the way back from Hospital with a female driver with a tail of no less than 18 cars bumper to bumper behind her. At times, she was down to 26 mph in a 60 zone and refused to pull over despite passing several pull ins on the 1 hour journey. Needles to say, when she eventually pulled over illegally in town, she got a 5 second blast of the horn from me, then my brother. Its self driving cars that will help idiots like this and save lives.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

I probably spend an inordinate amount of time checking my 6 when driving. Is "consideration" exclusive of those behind you? I generally average the speed limit when driving and most of the roads I travel are 4 lanes or more, with a lot of them divided with medians that allow the opposite lanes to continue when a school bus stops on the oncoming lane (state law).

I've seen countless examples of clueless drivers, even had one pull out in front of me on an Interstate at 5 mph with traffic approaching at 65+ with no room to stop. The collision would have been absolutely certain but for one factor. I KNEW the lane to my left was clear, due to situational awareness, and could immediately swerve left to avoid the clueless moron who just tried to kill me in a pile of junk that should never be one any road anywhere.

Been passed in a no passing zone (double solid yellow lines-reckless driving) when going at least the speed limit by another of the endless supply of clueless idiots here, yet in spite of hundreds of stupidity driven reckless endangerments, I still manage to get there and back safely. Situational awareness is king in driving and I am sure that is universal.

It's very hard to have traffic congestion higher than a single lane averaging 1 car per second for 24 hour periods without respite.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Situational awareness is king in driving and I am sure that is universal.
I agree 100% with this.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalkoenig View Post
I would encourage people who have a car behind them flashing their lights to get out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Tho I drive the speed limit, quite a few drivers have flashed their lights to me. Upon pulling over, ALL those flashing cars proceeded away at 15 to 20 MPH(more?) over the speed limit..... Gosh, I never knew so many sick & injured people were trying to get to hospitals.
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

UK drivers seem much more considerate. We have legally enforced lane discipline, and if you are driving at the limit, unless you are hogging a lane, when there is a clear lane you should be in, only a moron or a BMW driver would think to flash you.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

I don't think warning other road users of your presence or intentions is a bad thing at all. The highway code states the horn is to be used to "warn others of your presence" lights are the same thing. I had another slow female driver blocking the fast lane (duel carriageway so only two lanes) and I was stuck behind her. I flashed a few times, no joy, so I was forced to undertake her illegally, used my horn just incase she tried to move across whilst I was doing so. Some people fail to apply the recommended 10-15 second glance in the rear view mirror when driving, so are simply unaware of the situation behind them.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Personally I consider what you did as aggressive driving. I always ask myself, "Would I do that if it was a marked police car". If the answer is no, then I wouldn't do it.
I know your reply will be that a police car would be aware of a car behind them, and that is probably true, but what if it was an unmarked car, out to fill their quota?
Your driver was probably well aware you were behind her, and after the first flash thought, "S*d you, I'm not moving over"!