Al Gore will deliver a message with your name to Congress - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Al Gore will deliver a message with your name to Congress

On March 21st, I will testify before Congress on the immediate action that needs to be taken to end the climate crisis. At the hearing, I will deliver the 294,374 messages you signed, demonstrating that hundreds of thousands of people share my sense of urgency.

If an additional 55,626 people sign our message, it will be as though 350,000 of us are there at the hearing expressing our determination to convince Congress to act. Having served in the House and Senate, I can tell you that members of these committees would find this to be a meaningful and impressive show of support.

There are only 5 days left before the hearings begin, so please do not pass up this opportunity to join in showing the broad public support we need in order to solve the climate crisis. I know you have friends or family who care deeply about this issue but have yet to sign our message to Congress.

Ask them to help fill that committee room with 350,000 messages by visiting:

http://www.algore.com/cards.html

The reason Congress has so far failed to act is not because there are no solutions to the problem. Nor is it because the majority doesn't believe that the climate crisis is real. They have failed to act, because they have not yet faced a sufficient expression of political will on the part of the American people demanding they confront our climate crisis head on. You and I know that political will is a renewable resource, and enough already exists to start solving this crisis. We just have to communicate that forcefully to the political leaders of our country.

In the last two weeks alone 101,673 people visited AlGore.com and signed our message to Congress. This is an incredible demonstration of the energy behind this issue.

In my testimony, of course, I will speak about the scientific evidence for global warming - just reiterated six weeks ago by the world's scientists in the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. But frankly, the debate on the science has long been over - except for a diminishing number of skeptics and deniers.

At this point, it is far more important to deliver your message about the urgency with which this crisis must be faced. Political leaders need to know that you intend to reward those who do the right thing and that you will work to replace those who do not.

That's why it's vital we fill up the hearing room with 350,000 messages.

Please ask your friends to sign our message to Congress today by visiting:

http://www.algore.com/cards.html

Together we are building a movement that has the potential to translate your strong feelings into effective change for our country. And we all know that when the United States changes - and offers leadership - the entire world will follow.

Thank you,
Al Gore

Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
*shrug*

Your grammar offends my sensibilities, Rick. Just offends.

But besides that, it is indeed always something to do, but votes fail and such, and that's why we should always take the responsibility to reduce our impact regardless of which way legislation will go. A vote is not enough.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Why?

Could we keep politics out of gassavers.org? I think this site should be more about ways to improve fuel efficiency and save at the pump then political issues. Keep the politics in political sites or some people will be turned away....
kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtorbe View Post
Could we keep politics out of gassavers.org? I think this site should be more about ways to improve fuel efficiency and save at the pump then political issues. Keep the politics in political sites or some people will be turned away....
I moved this post to the general discussion forum, which, by definition, is a place to discuss anything you so desire.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Supporting Member

RH77 -

A friend sent me this last week and I already signed.

Everything is Politics.

The question is, can we be civil and tolerant of each other in the process? Polite about Politics is what I mean.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Forget it...

I'm deleting my posts.

If there's a wiff of Politics here it gets ugly. Forget about it.

-Rick
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

I didn't mean to start trouble. This was my first post. I've watched for over three months and really never saw too much political fighting. I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertoasterxb View Post
I didn't mean to start trouble. This was my first post. I've watched for over three months and really never saw too much political fighting. I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers.
I appreciate the posting you made. I just signed.

If global warming is made an issue, maybe a few less SUVs will be on the road? Maybe a few people will think twice before purchasing an SUV?
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Everything is Politics.

The question is, can we be civil and tolerant of each other in the process? Polite about Politics is what I mean.
Sounds reasonable to me. (Agreed: everything is politics.)

Politics can make some people extra passionate, but let's be mature enough to agree to disagree where it's obvious there's not going to be a meeting of minds, rather than descend into vulgarity & insults.

Welcome to the site, coastertoasterxb.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertoasterxb View Post
No worries, your post is quite appreciated by me. I sent it to my girlfriend as well,

It's a moral issue, as gore would say.