Algorithm question, efficient acceleration - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Algorithm question, efficient acceleration

I'm running a program that is collecting distance/time and fuel consumption/time information from the vehicle.

I can compute acceleration, simply enough:
(currentFeetPerSecond-feetPerSecondOneSecondAgo)/32

I can figure out how much fuel was used, and the distance traveled in that last second also.

So the question is, is there a peak efficiency that can be determined from this info? i.e. if one were in the "oval" of the bsfc chart, would it manifest itself in terms of acceleration/fuel consumption:
1. acceleration/fuel

Or do I need to factor in CdA, velocity, Crr, and weight and come up with a representation of power(or possibly energy) in order to find the most efficient ratio?
2. power/fuel

Or is just watching the mpg sufficient?!? I don't think it is because that will ever be decelerating.

I'm expecting that there is an optimal throttle setting while accelerating (which may change while accelerating) for accelerating at peak efficiency, and that the program should be able to provide (audio) feedback to the driver to find that setting while driving.

Any insights?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s...el_consumption

given f=ma and p=fd , I can just use 1 for m, the unit is metros and plug in the distance covered I get: p=ad

then the current relative efficiency is acceleration*distance/fuel

So not sure I can figure out relative power if we are climbing a hill and not accelerating, but having d in there might correct for that case. Dunno, it would be nice if I could ignore all the wind resistance and whatnot for now.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Check out Ptrac in Road Load Parameters. You can likely simplify the rolling component to MgVCr0... LMK if you need anything else.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote