An American Perspective on Driving in Canada - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: I'd wait for the next gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'd wait for the next gen accord then. I think it will jump on the 3.5 liter bandwagon. I love the current accord due to it's 6800rpm and an available 6 speed. I think the next accord will be 250+hp and 6500+redline. I just hope they come out with a 6 speed auto too that you can shift manually.

BUT the new camry is cheaper, faster, and reliable, if not more than reliable than the current accord.
D00D, the 3.5-Litre Bandwagon XE is gonna take a helluva lot of fuel to propel down the Oregon Trail. And what's with the redline? 4-cylinders traditionally have a higher redline than 6- or 8- cylinders, especially the DOHC ones. But, I thought we were saving gas here. This isn't a gravy train with biscuit wheels. Honda is smarter than that. They can make more power with less fuel and displacement.

Secondly, I awarded the '06 Camry LE 4-cylinder Automatic with the "Editor's Choice Award" in the full-size vehicle category for efficiency, reliability, and performance in my Rental Car Fleet Analysis thread. I would recommend this car to just about anyone. BUT, the V-6 is overkill. Granted, the Camry might be a percentage point more reliable, but for me, I am straight-up Honda/Acura, end of story.

RH77

Old 03-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
I'd wait for the next gen accord then. I think it will jump on the 3.5 liter bandwagon. I love the current accord due to it's 6800rpm and an available 6 speed. I think the next accord will be 250+hp and 6500+redline. I just hope they come out with a 6 speed auto too that you can shift manually.

BUT the new camry is cheaper, faster, and reliable, if not more than reliable than the current accord.
D00D, the 3.5-Litre Bandwagon XE is gonna take a helluva lot of fuel to propel down the Oregon Trail. And what's with the redline? 4-cylinders traditionally have a higher redline than 6- or 8- cylinders, especially the DOHC ones. But, I thought we were saving gas here. This isn't a gravy train with biscuit wheels. Honda is smarter than that. They can make more power with less fuel and displacement.

Secondly, I awarded the '06 Camry LE 4-cylinder Automatic with the "Editor's Choice Award" in the full-size vehicle category for efficiency, reliability, and performance in my Rental Car Fleet Analysis thread. I would recommend this car to just about anyone. BUT, the V-6 is overkill. Granted, the Camry might be a percentage point more reliable, but for me, I am straight-up Honda/Acura, end of story.

RH77

i highly recommend you check out canadiandriver.ca on their EL reviews and the CSX reviews. The CSX gets a 2.0 litre (same one found in RSX but detuned for FE) and 5 speed automatic sport shifter paddles! (which i heard were more robust than the TSX) Nice car but I'd still get the 06 honda hybrid because I"m a FE nut hehe.

read up!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

Re: Quote:With the technology we

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
It got 109mpg going at certain speeds, besides that car was modified a bit. I can get 50+mpg at certain speeds too. For daily driving purposes it won't even get close 100mpg.
Wayne, I think, one of Dan's friends owned an Insight that got 109 mpg for an entire tank (1400-1500 miles) while daily driving. Besides, I believe the prius was stock at the time, right?
The Prius was bone stock during the 109 MPG run. Some have argued that the SuperMID was a modification, but since the Prius already has a MPG display, I don't buy the arguement. It is nothing more than adding gauges.

As far as the "can't come close to 100 MPG in daily driving", I guess it depends on how close is close. The tank prior to the 109 MPG tank was 1007 miles, 86.6 MPG. I had an 85.7 MPG tank driving from Pittsburgh to Huntsville, AL. I have had many 70+ MPG tanks with my 50 mile daily commute.

Yes, Wayne Gerdes who has a 90 mile daily commute did have a 1523 mile, 109.0 MPG tank in his Insight. His lifetime FE for the Insight was 92MPG.

I noticed a few comments about the Prius and HCH being too large. Well that is true if you have no passengers which is the case with my commute. That's why I bought a used 2 seater instead of another hybrid. My wife hauls around the kids so it makes more sense for her to have the Prius. And one more good thing about the obsenely large prius is that it can carry the whole family, the dog and all of our gear to the beach several times a year, 1400 mile RT for about the cost of a nice meal at our favorite restaurant. I can't think of one other car that would let us do that.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:

RH77
Honda is not going to keep their small dispacement for the V6. Otherwise it will lose business to the new camry and altima. People don't just look at fuel economy when buying a car, they look at hp too. I know honda can make more power with less fuel and dispacement but if they keep upping the power in the 3.0 Liter they will start loosing torque which is one of the best features of a V6. It already got 212 ft of torque, they can't lose anymore. I will say that the future accord will have at least a 3.2 liter motor unless they go with Direct Injection which gives a big boost in power, then they can keep the 3.0 liter motor.

Redlines make me excited. I just love burying the needle. The deeper it goes the more excited I get.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
*shrug*

Quote:Redlines make me

Quote:
Redlines make me excited. I just love burying the needle. The deeper it goes the more excited I get.
Why I wonder?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #26
Registered Member

I dunno, because the engine

I dunno, because the engine screams. Some cars have a very nice sound when the engine is WOT. Few examples are BMW M5, Nissan maxima 95-99, Nissan 350z, Infiniti G35, FX35. And most top end cars like Ferrari, Lambo and etc.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #27
Registered Member

3.2 in the parts bin, but...

Ok, so the 3.2L SOHC/VTEC is in the Acura parts bin -- I should know, I have one ;-) But let's run the numbers, shall we?

What configuration of Accord sells the most in the U.S.? The 4-cylinder automatic.

What Camry sells the most units? Yes, the 4-cylinder auto.

I can keep going if you want. Basically, the V-6 Honda isn't a hugely popular seller, nor the Camry V-6.

Nissan has completely stunk when it comes to FE. I agree, their 3.5L is one of the best engines ever produced. But it sucks the fuel. I know this from experience, and the EPA estimates are WAY off. Look at the low 20's.

Your Altima -- how many V-6s and SE-Rs will they sell vs. the 4-banger? For every one V-6, there will be ten 4-cylinder models.

And what do all of these cars you mention have in common. BAD FUEL ECONOMY. Even some of them are taxed as "Gas Guzzlers". You're talking Brie when it's definitely Limberger time.

RH77
Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #28
Registered Member

haha i drove the g35 auto

haha i drove the g35 auto for a bit... and if you keep it under 1500 rpms i bet you'll get some good FE. But I WOT not even half... my neck snapped to the edge of the seat... after that I decided not to punch it all the way lol...

no thanks but ill own you on the track anyday.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #29
Registered Member

Re: haha i drove the g35 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
haha i drove the g35 auto for a bit... and if you keep it under 1500 rpms i bet you'll get some good FE. But I WOT not even half... my neck snapped to the edge of the seat... after that I decided not to punch it all the way lol...

no thanks but ill own you on the track anyday.
Same here -- drove a Maxima many times and an FX-35 -- the power was way over the top. To the point of being too much fun -- one's own responsibilities goes out the automatic power window. But I agree, with that kind of weight our cars could outhandle them any day of the week on or off the track.

RH77