An Inconvenient Book - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

An Inconvenient Book

http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...b=1&pid=537329

REALLY everyone, not trying to start a heated political discussion(troll), but it makes me wonder if this IS how the majority of Americans feel, as i do. that is, we are fed up w/ left and right, repubs and dems. what is either side doing besides supporting self interest?

we are so preoccupied w/ hating the other party/view, the politicians use this preoccupation to keep us busy blaming the other side as real issues NEVER get addressed. all the while, THEY continue collecting fat paychecks and "fringe" benefits.

OUTSIDE the GW debate, great points of interest are discussed, and supposed answers to our toughest problems. one guy w/ all the answers? not likely, but i like his anti-political mood.

sounds controversial to say the least. who knows, maybe he's on to something.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
*shrug*

Looking at some of the things he's said in the past, he doesn't seem either anti-political or particularly partial to me...but then people who agree with you always seem the most level-headed, right?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Looking at some of the things he's said in the past, he doesn't seem either anti-political or particularly partial to me...but then people who agree with you always seem the most level-headed, right?
indeed! the "i'm right" attitude is well versed. the question is can we lay down biases and consider that the other view may have legitimacy? can we set aside our self interests and differences of view/party and move forward to what is best for the country? the world?

in order to make a difference, we must first look in the mirror. if we can change ourselves, country and world would fall right in line. doesn't seem possible, but i'd love to be proven wrong.

BTW, i've heard mr. beck blast repubs on occasion, but must admit i'm not an avid listener/viewer of his programs.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Hello -

I didn't even know who he was, seems to be a right-wing bottom feeder :

Beck speculated that Kucinich's wife must be under influence of "date rape drug" - June 4, 2007
http://mediamatters.org/items/200706040007

Glenn Beck, the Wanker King - January 4th, 2007
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...e-wanker-king/

Glenn Beck Launches Hateful Attack On Victims of California Wildfires - October 23, 2007
http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/howie/65889/
Quote:
"I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today. There are a few people that hate America. But I don't think the Democrats are those. I think there are those posing as Democrats that are like that."
Glenn Beck?Idiot Savant of Punditry Class - September 18th, 2007
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...unditry-class/

Beck falsely claimed "the globe was the hottest" in 1934 -- it was actually 2005 - October 25, 2007
http://mediamatters.org/items/200710250006?f=s_search

Glenn Beck Has No Soul - January 05, 2007
http://joshingpolitics.blogspot.com/...s-no-soul.html
Quote:
Here are just a few examples:

Glenn beck told a seven year old that wrote a poem about Africa to go there and never return.

He called Cindy Sheehan a ****.

He called Katrina victims 'Scumbags'.

Threatened that Muslims will be looking through a razor wire fence at the West

And of course the comment that started all the commotion around Keith Ellison:

I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.'

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Carlos,

thanks for the links. interesting. wish i could take back MANY of the things i've said and done. however, things in print cannot always be trusted especially if taken out of context. ie could scumbags be the luters?

i'm simply going w/ what i've heard Beck talk about in limited air time. i like his ideas about throwing out political/personal agendas, and putting the interests of country first.

Hitler was(is) loved by many. so, right or wrong, individuals will be loved and hated. my hero was crucified by his own.

show me a perfect man/woman, and i'll show you the anti-Christ.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Could be. But lumping all the looters together is just as bad imo. If there wasn't any fresh water and the store was closed, wouldn't you jump in and nab some bottled agua? Otoh, people who were carrying off TVs were looters in the common sense. Still doesn't make lumping them together right...
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Wink words of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Could be. But lumping all the looters together is just as bad imo. If there wasn't any fresh water and the store was closed, wouldn't you jump in and nab some bottled agua? Otoh, people who were carrying off TVs were looters in the common sense. Still doesn't make lumping them together right...
my father is old(wise) enough to be my grandfather. says he's been around the world 3 times and seen everyone twice.

he says, "don't believe ANYTHING ya hear, and only HALF of what ya see!"
Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

eggsactly! I believe in what I and those close to me can do, and that's about it.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

Bowtie, do you believe what you have heard about the holocaust, re: 6.5 million people murdered? Or is that one of those things that you heard that you don't think you should believe (and why arbitrarily decide to believe the people that say otherwise?!?)
Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
before we take too much of a tangent with this thread...

I agree with the sentiment that we should all set aside our political divisions and biases and do what we think is in the best interest of our country. The only problem is that there are many different, often diametrically opposed, ideas of what is the best for our country.
I.E. should waterboarding be legal?
-Yes- Strong interrogation ensures protection against terrorists, which is in the best interest of our country
-No- Torture degrades our moral high-ground against terrorists, which hurts our countries interests.

What I really have a problem with is the partisans-in-disguise such as Bill O'Reilley and Glenn Beck who ask us to put aside our partisanship.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote