an increase of 20mpg cost me... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesspirate
around $16,000.

I bought a new Toyota Yaris, freeway rated 39 but i've read a lot of people doing much better than this without any mods, so i plan on averaging about 40mpg with my granny driving style.

The truck is still running well, and beating other trucks of it's type gas-mileage wise everyday of the week, just time to move on, move up, and save some gas
How about a ride report. Only seen the ads but really like the car. Have you made it through a tank yet? Flats with no spare=no fun

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I drive on the streets most of the time and weight matters there. The less weight the car is on the street the less fuel the car will spend.
I find that driving on the streets yields the best FE. When you drive over curbs, sidewalks, front lawns and pedestrians it just kills your FE. And don't get me started about driving thru lakes and other various bodies of water. The hydro drag is atrocious.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

lol!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
I drive on the streets most of the time and weight matters there. The less weight the car is on the street the less fuel the car will spend.
we arent talking about you or your, capitan selfabsorbtion.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
we arent talking about you or your, capitan selfabsorbtion.
I didn't bring the issue up. I just recommended what should be done to increase the FE on the new car. And it's General, not captain. Can't you see the flight suit, I sure earned my wings eerr stars.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
I didn't bring the issue up. I just recommended what should be done to increase the FE on the new car.
Quote:
The first thing I'd do is the tires, go 40+. Next remove the spare and jack. Then do some underbelly stuff.
whatever you say capitan. your talking abuot what you would do. there is a very very high probability that chesspirate is not you.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
whatever you say capitan. your talking abuot what you would do. there is a very very high probability that chesspirate is not you.
That is why I recommended. This only opinion, he can do whatever he wants with it. This forum is just a collection of opinion, this isn't the army where we can only post orders.

Or am I missing something???

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Registered Member

just enjoy the car, id know i would.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

Okay, sorry it took a while to update, but i wanted to wait for a fill up!

Okay, so we picked it up mid-week and then filled up Sunday evening. Can't remember exactly the trip mileage, but i do remember that i came out with slightly better than 35mpg's.

Lot's to explain about that number though. The car is the 4door sedan, the mid level Yaris. I wanted the 2dr hatchback originally for work-(i work in real estate and carry signs, thus my truck) but they didn't have one on the lot, actually only had one Yaris on the lot and that's what we took. The trunk is HUGE! I mean, i could not imagine the room it has, I can fit a bunch of signage without folding down the seats, and i can fit plenty more when i do.

Okay, so it's a four door with an auto tranny, for those that don't know it has the 1.5L that comes in the Scion XB'x and XA's, not sure about the TC's. EPA rating is 34city 39hgwy.

My first tank wasn't a gas-run at all. Lots of up and down reving, the manual just suggests changing the rpm's regularly and suggested shifting to keep things changin' so a couple of long held 2nds and 3rds with varying speeds on the freeway from about 65-80 back and forth. So, as you might guess i was pleasantly surprised to get 35. I can't wait till i start driving more gas-minded.

It's funny, but i got carried away at the dealership and was thinking of all the stuff i could strip off the car to save weight!!! i'm not going to do anything for a while but it did cross my mind.

any other questions? i'm ready to answer

and thanks for the welcome back Matt, I've been very very busy and felt left out of the gas-mileage upper ranks sitting in the low 20's with the truck even though that was a good upgrade from base
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #20
*shrug*

Why auto!?!?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote