An Interesting Look at a Carbon Tax - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

you guys know where i stand. VERY much against new/increased taxation. that said, i really do question our auto makers urgency to make more efficient vehicles. florida no longer requires cerification of vehicles. if this was considered in "carbon tax," there would be increases to "single mother" types that cannot afford to maintain their vehicles. for example: see it all the time--a young woman w/children driving an econo car smoking more than my 26,000 pound diesel work truck. THIS member's family will require gov't assistance IF the proliferation of taxes continues. i suspect MANY are in a similar situation. how many can our gov't support? ask someone from Puerto Rico what happened to their economy(gov't) that tried to support too many. you young guys, i appreciate your thoughts, but we must consider consequences of certain legislation. real world ramifications w/ REAL people not stats. and yes we MUST move away from fossil fuels and pollution. the Boston tea party could NOT have been good for the environment!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
*shrug*

As I'll say again, this particular tax structure considers the economic hardships caused by the tax and deals with it by offering rebates on the income tax to those with the lowest wages (where the burden would be felt).

Then you consider that a tax that wakes people up to their energy use will inevitably save many people money as more people become interested in basic conservation measures.

*shrug* It's sad, because people hate taxes so much, when, realistically, it will cost a lot more to achieve the same goal by other methods.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The main problem, is that in reducing another tax, some of will wind up in some politicians pocket, thus making them even richer.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
As I'll say again, this particular tax structure considers the economic hardships caused by the tax and deals with it by offering rebates on the income tax to those with the lowest wages (where the burden would be felt).

Then you consider that a tax that wakes people up to their energy use will inevitably save many people money as more people become interested in basic conservation measures.

*shrug* It's sad, because people hate taxes so much, when, realistically, it will cost a lot more to achieve the same goal by other methods.
your "rebate" point was noted, however altho you seem well informed, don't forget about reality vs theory. in florida, there is talk of lowering property tax, while at the same time city/county gov't are talking of raising other taxes to make up the difference(and more). my low property worth would yield very little reduction. but if the sales,utility, and emergency rates are increased(all have been considered), i'll be DEEP in the hole. rebates are nice,but who gets them and where are they "cut off?" sorry i keep playing the "reality" card, but it is worth looking at! GREAT point about realizing conservation measures. ALL levels of gov't could start by looking in the mirror!, not raising/creating taxes!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote