Another cop pulled me over - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Another cop pulled me over

This happened today on a rural road north of Easley,SC. He said he pulled me over because when he ran my licence number through their computer, it said that the plate was expired since 2002 (Now it's surprising something this major didn't pop up on any of the previous 3 traffic stops that occured over the past year and a half, must have been a recent database error), but that he saw the 07 year sticker on the plate as he walked up to my car. The first words out of his mouth as he walked up to my window, "What's all the stuff on the car for?" After checking my registration, he said they would get their screwed-up licence tag database straightened out. He also mentioned that a license plate has to be at the back of the car (I guess those 1930's cars with the licence plate on the back curve of the rear fender were grandfathered in) and that the plate must be at least 20" off the ground (I wonder if the MG and Triumph roadsters met this spec). Fortunately I'm getting ready to redesign my boattail next week (extend the car's cargo area into the boattail, add a cargo hatch, re-glaze with polycarbonate, and more), so I will relocate the licence plate into the tip of the boattail next to the taillights. And try to do it in a way that causes the least aero drag penalty. When you have a car as streamlined as mine, that 6" X 12" licence plate area has the potential to be a significant contributor to drag.

I'm getting tired of the cops pulling these little vehicle noncompliance issues on me. Every time one pulls me over, I ask them if there is anything illegal about my car and I redesign to incorporate their answers. I wish they would give me all of the noncompliance issues at once so I could design the car to meet them and have it done with. I guess that just goes with the territory when living on the cutting edge of car design.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
*shrug*

Wow! Glad you made it out of another one. I've been waiting for you to do some sort of sheet metal, welding, cutting, lexan, super smooth, permanent, amazingness thing.

Keep us up to date on the remake!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

IMO these folks have to much time on their hands and to little to do. Anyway, I don't know if it would help, but you might be able to get the Highway Patrol, or whatever they are called, their, to at least look at it, so that you have a running start at being within the guidelines. Fundamentally the problem is your car looks DIFFERENT, so it catches their attention and then they start watching for some reason to pull you over. They need to find better things to do, but I don't think anyone should hold their breath.

p.s. still very impressed with your changes, keep it up.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
*shrug*

Indeed. Ask them for some help with your plans. Mehbe they could write you a letter or give you a sticker when it's don't to get you out of trouble.

Last time I asked the cops for something, I had a dozen japanese police officers trying to help me find an indian restaurant.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

well i think you're lucky to be able to legally ad all that stuff to your car. we have to deal with anual technical inspections. anything not factory stock on the car has to be officially approved by the manifacturer, and some other agencies. it has to be installed according to a manual or otherwise needs to pass a number of tests you have to pay for and so on bla bla bla.... basically if it's diy it's probably illegal.

it's a good thing they check things like emissions, headlight alignment and tire profile and suspention etc. but i'm pretty sure a diy belly pan would get me in serious trouble...

oh well... limitations fuel creativeness

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Sucks that you got pulled over but can't you pop down to either the local police station or the highway patrol and just ask em whats legal or illegal about your car? Usually they are pretty cool about it.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

Why do you always get out of getting pulled over? They always assume that I'm stoned and demand to search my car when they pull me over for nothing.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'm wondering how stopping by a police station to ask them what is legal or illegal about my car would differ substantially from asking the cop who pulled me over the same question (which I do with every cop who pulls me over).

SVObay - My 1st boattail was a cheap and quick proof of concept creation. Now that I know how well it works for improving FE, I'll make a permanent version that integrates into the interior of the car. I'm going to end up with a 6 to 7 foot long cargo bed (with the back seats down) accessed via a hatch on the back top of the boattail with a Lexan (polycarb) rear window.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
*shrug*

Sounds very cool! I can't wait to see it...you could sell conversions...

Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I'm wondering how stopping by a police station to ask them what is legal or illegal about my car would differ substantially from asking the cop who pulled me over the same question (which I do with every cop who pulls me over).

SVObay - My 1st boattail was a cheap and quick proof of concept creation. Now that I know how well it works for improving FE, I'll make a permanent version that integrates into the interior of the car. I'm going to end up with a 6 to 7 foot long cargo bed (with the back seats down) accessed via a hatch on the back top of the boattail with a Lexan (polycarb) rear window.
if you go to the local PD and ask to see if one or a few of the officers would please come out to your car to see whats illegal and whats not, it lets them see that your tryign to be within the laws and not tryign to break them. if you do that im sure they would be helpful and then you can either show them your future plans and whatnot. that and the more officers in your area that you know have seen the car and whatnot and who you are, the more leaniant they will be and probably wont pull you over, might fllow you to a palce and ask questions but other than that i dont think they would mind.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote