Any advice for the college bound? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #31
*shrug*

Well, there's 1k students

Well, there's 1k students going for the classes, and I am def into multivariable calc and japanese and blah blah for the other ****, prolly get my core courses out of the way.

There is a week right before classes that is an outdoors bonding trip, but all that is for is to get to know people and find a roomie.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #32
Registered Member

haha dorm life, hope you

haha dorm life, hope you make it big. For a friend of mine, ironically school corrupted him, he was more of a goody goody before he left for university, after failing two years into it, he's now corrupted and any chance of him going legit is bare to none.

But your taking the hard courses! You'll be fine

Old 05-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #33
Registered Member

I took the orientation and

I took the orientation and the entrance exam early too. I also talked to a counsler in the first semester and **** on her advice. She talked me to schedule a bunch of classes so I could graduate in like 2007. I did my own way and I'll be graduating in 2009 or 2010. Not bad, I'll be either a 6th year or 7th year. All for $20 an hour.

Yeah it's kinda slow but I'd rather take my time, I've proved again and again that I can't handle 3 classes at a time. The best I could do is 2. Some people are good at learning while others can't concentrate worth crap.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #34
*shrug*

Quote:But your taking the

Quote:
But your taking the hard courses! You'll be fine Eye-wink
Haha, I'm trying. I enjoy learning just enough that it's good for me,
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #35
Registered Member

Re: I took the orientation and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I took the orientation and the entrance exam early too. I also talked to a counsler in the first semester and **** on her advice. She talked me to schedule a bunch of classes so I could graduate in like 2007. I did my own way and I'll be graduating in 2009 or 2010. Not bad, I'll be either a 6th year or 7th year. All for $20 an hour.

Yeah it's kinda slow but I'd rather take my time, I've proved again and again that I can't handle 3 classes at a time. The best I could do is 2. Some people are good at learning while others can't concentrate worth crap.
not bad at all, some classes is better than none and it'll be over as soon as you know it. Heck if I started school right after grad and worked hard maybe one more year I could have been making a good 5 figures by now. At least you have a goal to look forward to, right now mine is in the ditch at the moment.

Everyone learns differently, but as long as your consistant your ready to live in the real world.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:38 AM   #36

Re: Don't allow a TV anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob
Don't incur anymore debt than you absolutely have to. Its tough to get rid of.
\

Best advice EVAR. Credit card companies target college students. I'm steadily (but slowly) working down the debt I've built up over the past 6 years.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
college goodness

Well, I have been through the first year of college. I went to a very small private college for some reason, and I feel that I missed out on that "college experience" that nearly everyone talks about. I definitely missed something, I tried the frat houses, went to a few religious things, hung out with new and different people. It all got seemed mundane by the end of the year. Try to vary what you do each day a little bit. Try to stay out of a routine, or else the days will seem to blend into one another.

Meeting new people...don't sit in the dorms and wait for people to come around, go knock on their doors and bug them after everybody has settled in. These people will be helpful if you ever need to talk to them about anything. Most colleges try to mix up the majors for the most variety possible.

Wild college parties - hmm...I can't comment on those, didn't get that part of the "experience"...maybe those Girls Gone Wild videos distort the true college image. When I did go to these parties, I noticed the same people doing the same exact things they did the week before. Also, be ready for RAP at a party...I was disappointed because I like rock, but the ladies can't dance to Smashing Pumpkins...

Oh, and classes...

Don't take a class that is more than 4 credit hours. They are not fun. Physics and Chemistry classes w/labs make a person get used to the fact that their life is studying. This is how it should be, but the balancing act between studying and socializing is tough. Find time to relax during the day, get away from everything else and try not to think about class, home, or girls...Try to find somebody that you can speak to that is not involved with school (although it is easy to talk about) because it does get very dull after a while..

At my college, the students that got A's studied during the weekends, and breaks. These people you will definitely want to get to know, but more than likely they will have their mind set on only one thing…their education. Try and find a person in the middle to help you out with anything you need, remember you are not the only one who was thrown into the same boat as you. (Use facebook to contact them!)

When finals come around, don't pull all-nighters. A person can only absorb so much information in one sitting. Sleep is better than caffeine.

Ride the debt train like the rest of us…I doubt there is any way of not getting debt (except working a full time job)…so just try to enjoy it while the interest isn’t compounding.

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #38
Registered Member

Here is another good advice.

Here is another good advice. If you know you can study at home without getting bothered then do it. I went to study with my cousin for a day at his University and he got almost nothing done. As soon as he stepped foot on the campus his friends would bother him on every corner.

He got maybe an hour of studying done, he spent the day talking to chicks, finding out what's on the tests, copying homework, getting people's lunches and etc. I spent my time reading a book, and studying my medical terminology words. I memorized the whole chapter and I read the whole book. I would of done more but it was very loud and I have a hard time concentrating. Now he's studying like crazy night and day to catch like his friends because they talk more what's going on than studying. All I have to do is read the same chapter 3 more times. Review the book, read another full book, write an essay, and read like 30 pages of a packet and get a 50% or better on my final. That will take me 3 days and I got 9 days to do that.

Next is the debt. I paid of my debt last year but it came back because my altima broke down. Make a plan to pay off a debt and always have money for a rainey day. If you have no debt then save your money, don't live from paycheck to paycheck. I learned this the hard way this year. I could of saved up a couple of grand instead I spent it on material things. When the time came to pay for repairs I had $14.85 in my bank account, and I had to resort to using my credit card and paying off slowly.

Next I would advice you to start building your credit now. I would get a card with cash back. That way you can save on gas and other essentials you might need.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #39
*shrug*

Quote:Next I would advice

Quote:
Next I would advice you to start building your credit now. I would get a card with cash back. That way you can save on gas and other essentials you might need.
Meh, I might just get credit on top of my paypal account. I don't like the idea of credit, though, so I prolly won't get a card at all.

And in any case, I will drive 0 miles next year while I'm away,
Old 05-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #40
*shrug*

What college are you going

What college are you going to tomauto? I envy the small liberal arts places, though there's only 4k at dartmouth, so it is indeed small.

I hate to tell you, but I will be the one constantly studying,