Any Divers? Other extreme sports? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 AM   #1

Any Divers? Other extreme sports?

Is anyone on the board here into SCUBA or snorkeling?

I'm really getting into snorkeling...I love it! This year I'll be going (for the third time) to Crystal River, FL to swim with the manatees. The past trips have been excellent. Last year we swam with over 70 manatees. There were also some tarpon (about 7 ft long) in the springs that were checking us out. While we're down there we also snorkel the Rainbow River and Three Sister's Springs - such clear water and so beautiful!

This year I've decided I love it so much I stepped it up a notch and am buying my own equipment. I've got a wet suit and am soon getting a mask with perscription lenses and a set of fins.

I'm starting to think about getting into SCUBA. Everyone I know that's into it loves it. I really won't have to buy any more gear after I get my mask and fins (I've already got my wet-suit) and can rent the rest at first. Getting certified is a little pricy, but it sounds like fun, and if Tammara really shows interest, I think we'll both do it.

Anyone do anything else extreme? I've done spelunking, but I can't say that's for me...it was pretty scary!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi, Dax. I've done scuba and snorkeling. You are making the right decision - scuba is way more fun than snorkeling. You don't have to come up for air and can get right down on the reefs where the animals are. Check out Cozumel, Mexico for some great drift diving. They also have a national park there called Chankanab where you can go snorkeling and there are literally thousands of fish as you go down the steps into the water.

Blue skies,

Patrick

vegasjetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

extreme...

Well I am really addicted to snowboarding. I went around 30 times last winter. Yes I go fast and jump far, but it try not to put my self in to much danger. I skateboard too I havn't had enough time this summer because I have been woring too much.

For all the "exterme" sports I have done I only have had minor injuries. Sprained ankel, bloody nose, and a bad gash in my shin ( I still have the scar 3years later).

Going +40mph on my bike is a bit scary, but I don't know if that is "extreme".

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #4

I used to skateboard A LOT, kickflipjr. I broke a truck playing around about 2 years ago and just never got it fixed. Still would like to do that...
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Xtreme sports

Diving is great fun. I was fortunate to learn on the great barrier reef. Until you experience the density and diversity of ocean life you'll never know how really incredible it is. Just awesome.
How about Luge? We used to make these 6foot long skateboards back in the 80s and run down mountain passes at dawn on the weekends. It was really wild passing a semi when you are less than half as high as the wheel. Big pucker factor - lots of adrenalin, even just thinking about it.
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
this isnt really extreme but i surf and play paint ball. gold is more dangerous though. i mean seriously, if one of those balls hits you, your done!

i did jump off a cliff in southeastern france with a parachute though, thats pretty extreme i guess. you jump then you catch the updrafts on the faces of cliffs and stay in the air for a couple hours.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
*shrug*

Haha, I never saw you for a paintballer.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Does it count as a 'sport' if it isn't officially sanctioned by some regulatory body and/or if it's illegal?

Many would certainly consider some things in this category as extreme.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
*shrug*

Russian Roulette?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Street Racing, Poaching, Vandalism, "Mobbing", Pyrotechnics, Cow Tipping, Moonshine Running, the list goes on... All of them can get you injured, arrested, killed, ect. rather easily and can cause an adrenaline rush or acute sense of fear characteristic of 'extreme' sports.

Which one(s) I may have done, I will not share here. Loose lips sink ships.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote