Any firearm enthusiasts? - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #81
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Country: United States
The Glock will work fine, of course. A 12GA or 20GA would be better, if you don't plan to carry the pistol. Pistol is harder to hit with than a shotgun.
__________________

__________________
95 Escort Wagon
94 Tracer Wagon
37.88 mpg mixed
yellowtail3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #82
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
+1

Yeah, a short shotgun is ideal for many reasons.
__________________

__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #83
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtail3 View Post
The Glock will work fine, of course. A 12GA or 20GA would be better, if you don't plan to carry the pistol. Pistol is harder to hit with than a shotgun.
+1. The Gander Mountain here has some nice 12- and 20-ga double-barrels with short barrels that would be tremendous for home defense - when I move out, I'm getting one for myself.

If you'd rather go pistol, see if there's any range nearby that will rent you the one you want to get. See how it feels, etc. before you buy. You may not even like firing a 9mm - I myself find the recoil to be too snappy and do much better with a lumbering .45. But you gotta shoot 'em before you know. Maybe try a 9mm, a .40 S+W and a .45 ACP. You might add to that a .357 SIG and a .45 GAP if you're so inclined. Plus some revolvers as well. I guess that's the long way of saying, try as many as you can before you buy. That way you know you have one that you're comfortable using and can fire accurately.
__________________
'67 Mustang - out of commission after an accident
'00 Echo - DD
'11 Kia Rio - Wife's DD
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #84
Registered Member
 
93dagsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
+1. The Gander Mountain here has some nice 12- and 20-ga double-barrels with short barrels that would be tremendous for home defense - when I move out, I'm getting one for myself.

If you'd rather go pistol, see if there's any range nearby that will rent you the one you want to get. See how it feels, etc. before you buy. You may not even like firing a 9mm - I myself find the recoil to be too snappy and do much better with a lumbering .45. But you gotta shoot 'em before you know. Maybe try a 9mm, a .40 S+W and a .45 ACP. You might add to that a .357 SIG and a .45 GAP if you're so inclined. Plus some revolvers as well. I guess that's the long way of saying, try as many as you can before you buy. That way you know you have one that you're comfortable using and can fire accurately.
cool i didn't know i could rent a gun to test it out. who would i have to call or speak to? i don't know what all those abbreviations mean, could you please fill me in??
__________________


http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #85
Supporting Member
 
lovemysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 595
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
cool i didn't know i could rent a gun to test it out. who would i have to call or speak to? i don't know what all those abbreviations mean, could you please fill me in??
If your in a fairly large city, try to find a gun store that has an indoor shooting range. Or visit some local gun stores and ask around. Just say your looking to try some pistols out and ask if they know a place that rents them.

As for the abbreviations. Often times manufacturers will create cartridge's with more specific purposes. I.E. the .45 long colt, .45 auto, .45 gap etc. The .45 long colt is used in old western style revolvers and the case is quite long. The .45 auto is shorter and was popularized by the colt 1911 style automatic pistols. The .45 gap is a shortened .45 auto case, introduced by glock to allow for a smaller grip size and make it easy for people with small hands to use a .45 pistol.

If you can't find a place to rent a pistol, get yourself a 9mm glock 17,23,26(3 different sizes or a springfield xd9. Both good guns, easy to shoot, cheap bullets, adequate power. If you decide you want something better don't worry because you can sell or trade off what you have. Guns hold there value well if you properly care and maintain them.
__________________
02 Saturn SL
5 speed
for pics click the link below

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #86
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by yi5hedr3 View Post
If you are lucky enough to have concealed carry (CCW) in your state, go get trained and licensed! Don't be a sheep!! Nobody but you can take care of yourself, and don't listen to other sheep who live in a world of denial. Yes, it can happen to ANYBODY, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.
My Dad's getting his CCW license pretty soon. We're looking into a Para compact .45 for him to carry. If I find a good .357, I may think about getting CCW, too.
__________________
'67 Mustang - out of commission after an accident
'00 Echo - DD
'11 Kia Rio - Wife's DD
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #87
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
cool i didn't know i could rent a gun to test it out. who would i have to call or speak to? i don't know what all those abbreviations mean, could you please fill me in??
Without going into a full list... S+W is Smith and Wesson, SIG is just short for arms company Sig Sauer, GAP stands for Glock Automatic Pistol. .45 ACP is Automatic Colt Pistol, and although this round is known by a lot of different names, it is most commonly referred to by the ACP abbreviation or .45 Auto[matic]. The numbers are basically bullet diameters; a .45 is nominally a .45" wide bullet, a .40 is a .4" wide bullet, and a 9mm is a 9mm wide bullet. Some of these designations are more accurate than others, however...

Another thing I'd advise: get a good .22 to practice with. It won't do much for teaching you to deal with recoil, but a good, accurate .22 will really help with your basic shooting form, build confidence, and ammo is SUPER cheap. Plus, it's fun! I practice with my Llama Comanche .22, 6" barrel all the time and it's an absolute blast while I get to practice a smooth trigger pull, stance, and grip.
__________________
'67 Mustang - out of commission after an accident
'00 Echo - DD
'11 Kia Rio - Wife's DD
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #88
Registered Member
 
93dagsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
If your in a fairly large city, try to find a gun store that has an indoor shooting range. Or visit some local gun stores and ask around. Just say your looking to try some pistols out and ask if they know a place that rents them.

As for the abbreviations. Often times manufacturers will create cartridge's with more specific purposes. I.E. the .45 long colt, .45 auto, .45 gap etc. The .45 long colt is used in old western style revolvers and the case is quite long. The .45 auto is shorter and was popularized by the colt 1911 style automatic pistols. The .45 gap is a shortened .45 auto case, introduced by glock to allow for a smaller grip size and make it easy for people with small hands to use a .45 pistol.

If you can't find a place to rent a pistol, get yourself a 9mm glock 17,23,26(3 different sizes or a springfield xd9. Both good guns, easy to shoot, cheap bullets, adequate power. If you decide you want something better don't worry because you can sell or trade off what you have. Guns hold there value well if you properly care and maintain them.
thanks guys for the help! i think i might do some practicing this weekend?!
__________________


http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #89
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Ask the people in Briton that are now wanting to own guns again. Every week 5 to 10 people are shot to death yet they banned guns in the country back in 1995.
I would rather have the right to protect myself then wait for some bureaucrat decide how to protect me by banning guns. When the politicians give up their personal security details that you and me pay for then I'll talk to you about limiting firearm ownership.
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #90
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
The Court yesterday ruled that the Second Amendment goes beyond service in a militia. Very important decision for the rights of responsible citizens.
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?...318-2085613077
__________________

__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.