Are new cars magnetic or something? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Are new cars magnetic or something?

OK, so I recently went through the process of selling 2 cars I had and searching for and buying a new one - all in about a week. Well not really new but a pre-loved one in good condition. Then the unthinkable happened...

But first, I made very good use of CraigsList.org to get rid of the 2 existing cars for a fair price each:
- a 1999 BMW 323iC convertible (I'm going to really miss that one)
- a 1997 VW Passat GLX wagon (gave me surprisingly good FE for being unmodified)

Next, I found a used 2002 BMW 325it wagon with low mileage and a CPO warranty from a BMW dealer with a relatively good reputation around where I live. It was in nice condition, and below retail price (though they never budged). I inspected all the body panels, got a carfax, and requested a copy of the paint density measurements: it was all originall and no damage history. It also had on it everything I would have wanted in terms of options (hey, life is short ).

I drove it home on a Friday night (Oct 9th), parked it in my driveway, and put a cover over it to protect it from the vicious oak trees (acorns are like falling ballpein hammers). I went away for the weekend, and then drove it to work for the first time on Monday. At lunch, I went out to return a set of license plates to the RMV, and I got hit going through a green light in the right lane of a 4-lane road (2-lanes each way) ... by opposing traffic!!!!!

No, nobody was hurt. The other driver was attempting a U-turn at an intersection and seemed oblivious to other cars. He wasn't going very fast and he didn't respond to my horn either. By the time I realized what was happening, I couldn't seem to avoid him. He just simply drove right into my left rear door and pinned me up against a curb. I couldn't believe it! I was even more astonished than when I was in a plane crash back in 1990 - but I digress. I hate it when this happens. His car was a 2006 Cadillac CTS and his license said his birthdate was February something of 1926. Afterwards, I saw him drive ahead and pull over to collect himself (he was OK), so I just sat there and swore for what felt like 2 solid minutes w/o repeating myself.

Then, having fully vented , I got out and dealt with the whole trade-info / police-report / rmv-report / insurance thing.

So much for the pristine Bimmer. I know, I have elitist problems - you can say it. I've already gotten a check from his insurance company for the initial estimate and have it scheduled to go to a certified BMW collision repair center (the best I could do).

I think my next car will be one of those Civics like I've seen all over GS that I can heavily modify to get obscene FE... In the meantime, life will go on.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
so I just sat there and swore for what felt like 2 solid minutes w/o repeating myself
That's funny.

Too bad about the car. But it is, after all, just a car. (Is that heresy?)

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
That's funny.

Too bad about the car. But it is, after all, just a car. (Is that heresy?)
Well, I admit that I couldn't always detach like this: Youth is so wasted on the young.

...but yes, it is just an appliance. It's an appliance I still like a lot but it's still just a 'thing.' What's my alternative...keep obsessing about how I ought to change the past? That's one of the definitions of insanity.

Besides, if that's heresy, then we would never get away with making the modifications (that so many have here) to get better FE than the manufacturer intended.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Hello -

Uffdah. Sorry about your new car. I've seen smashed up new cars being towed, but not known the people that drove them. That is probably the worst story I have heard when it comes to new car smash-ups. When stuff like this happens, I like to say that your car sacrificed itself for you. Good job, car!!!!! Nobody was hurt! At least it gives a nicer sentiment to what happened.

Saturns are less magnetic, but like to "explode" with plastic body panels flying everywhere when they do collide.

This is tangential to the question of whether a car is an investment or a tool. My wife told me a story of a couple who, whenever they got a new car, would park it in the driveway, and drop a "ritual brick" onto it, thus denting it and doing away with all that worry about a scratch.

I applaud that sentiment (but haven't done it myself, ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
I was even more astonished than when I was in a plane crash back in 1990
Can't let you get away with saying that and not expanding.

--

I also admire someone who could do a "ritual brick". Despite my tendency towards "car as an appliance" views, I don't think I could do that.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

I actually made a conscious decision several cars back to quit worrying about them. Quit fussing, quit washing and waxing and vacuuming (as much - wax 2x a year instead of every month or 2).

Of course when I made that decision I couldn't just STOP looking after my pristine, low miles 84 Rabbit. I sold it to a good home, then bought a beater (85 Camry with rusted out wheel wells).

Un/fortunately, I'm back in a car that's in ridiculously good cosmetic condition for its age. I'll doubtless be miffed when it gets its first big whack (been able to shrug off the minor ones so far...)
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Hello -

Uffdah. Sorry about your new car. I've seen smashed up new cars being towed, but not known the people that drove them. That is probably the worst story I have heard when it comes to new car smash-ups. When stuff like this happens, I like to say that your car sacrificed itself for you. Good job, car!!!!! Nobody was hurt! At least it gives a nicer sentiment to what happened.
You're absolutely right. When I see a totaled car that someone walked away from, the engineer part of me definitely says things like "that car did what it was supposed to do to protect its occupants by crumpling, deploying airbags, etc." Fortunately mine was a mere fender-bender (door-bender?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
This is tangential to the question of whether a car is an investment or a tool. My wife told me a story of a couple who, whenever they got a new car, would park it in the driveway, and drop a "ritual brick" onto it, thus denting it and doing away with all that worry about a scratch.

I applaud that sentiment (but haven't done it myself, ).

CarloSW2
Before this happened, I was actually thinking about a guy who used to take a hammer to a new car he just bought, saying he wanted to be the first one to put a dent in it. I like the brick idea though. I'm not sure I could do that to a new car but it sure seems better than worrying until someone else does it. I KNOW it will happen sometime. Now I've been spared all that worry.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

I actually think that new cars are magnetic...

Seriously. Within a week of buying our new xB, my wife got rear ended. Then a week and a half after that we walked out to the car after dinner and found that one of the tail lights was busted out. Then only a few weeks after that a rock flew up and made a huge crack in the windshield... then there are the numerous door dings we now have and the two dents where someone rammed it with a shopping cart.

lol

And my $500 civic doesn't have a scratch on it. Go figure.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

20 miles

000020 miles on the TSX and a dump-truck ahead lost a load of gravel. Scrapes down to the primer on the hood. On the way home from the dealer!!!

RH77
Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
It's the SHINY FACTOR it draws people to the new car and they get hypnotized by the shiny until they HIT IT BAM!!!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote