Best Tank Yet! - on E-85!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best Tank Yet! - on E-85!!!

I filled up my nearly empty tank with E-85 this morning for experimentation purposes. I covered the long drive to my grandma's house thanksgiving and back today, and went to a neighboring town, driving a total of 179 miles, the amazing part was I only used 7 gallons, of E-85!! That's 26 MPG!! Considering that E-85 usually requires 30% more fuel, and that I got my EPA highway rating of 26 mpg is amazing! If I can get this car to run that good on gas, i should be gettin in the 30's on the highway!!

I know these numbers aren't that great, but consider the car I'm driving.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
You were having ecm problems or something along those lines weren't you?

I think since the e-85 burns faster that it could have leaned things out for you.
So the car wouldnt be running overly rich.
Probably closer to stoich.
I would keep running e-85 until you got the problems worked out.

I have noticed something similar on my car.
Since my o2 sensor does not work, the ecu is most likely putting it into a rich safe mode.
Then since the EGR is gone, and my muffler, it is running a little more lean than the computer thinks.
Which i think would make it run closer to stoich.

Anyways
congrats

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

All kinds of bad things could happen to the rubber and plastic components of a 1986 town car's fuel system if exposed to ethanol. Part of making a vehicle E85 capable is switching to materials that the fuel won't degrade. A tank or two might not hurt it but long term use is not recommended.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's prboblbly not the best thing ever for the car, but i cain't afford 9-12 mpg, so I'm going to run it for about a week until i get the new Maf conversion kit for the EEC IV. I'm real excited to see how it performs under Mustang contorl. I'm hoping to see 35 mpg, with out the hypermiling techniques
Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

don't forget the good side to you running the e85 in that decrepit car from the 80's. Its going to help burn out all of the old crude from bad gas and such. with the new maf and the cleaning from the e85 i would definintly expect better mpg out of that.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstb88
don't forget the good side to you running the e85 in that decrepit car from the 80's. Its going to help burn out all of the old crude from bad gas and such. with the new maf and the cleaning from the e85 i would definintly expect better mpg out of that.
I do love E-85 not only does it clean the combustion chamber, and fuel injectors, but also the rest of the fuel system. Quickly plugs the fuel filters on old cars. It's also super cheap around here, my first tank fill was $1.96/gallon, second was 2.12. The other very nice side effect I noticed was if the ehxuast fumes no longer wreak of hydrocarbons, they're rather a fragrant smell now. It smells like some kinda fruity mixed drink haha.

For anyone not amazed with the results, consider Fueleconomy.gov's 2007, E-85 vehicles highway ratings.

Chysler Sebring - 22mpg
Monte Carlo - 23mpg
Chevy Impala - 23mpg
Mercedes C230 - 18mpg
Crown Victoria - 17mpg
Lincoln Towncar - 17mpg

My 1986 Lincoln Towncar - 26 mpg :O

numbers dont' show it good enough, so I made a graph he he.

BTW, yeah i know i made the chart wrong lol, I put mine as 27 instead of 26 oh well.