BMW i3 / New 94ah Battery / SAME size & weight as old 60ah - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

BMW i3 / New 94ah Battery / SAME size & weight as old 60ah

Elon Musk says battery density is improving 5-7% compounded annually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6O1w_NEurg

ICE cars will soon become as undesirable as CRT TV screens. And, like HDTV flat panel technology, EV tech will continuously improve; becoming cheaper and going further per single charge.

What I can't figure out is how DraigFlag/Paul needs 2 cars to get around a 4,000 population town when a bicycle will likely do the job.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

I watched the fully charged video last night. Not a fan of the i3, my bosses brother has one, but it drives better than it looks. I was surprised some people are getting 150-200 miles from the ioniq too, didn't realise it was that capable.

I only have 1 car doug

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

When asked for his thoughts about the i3, it was reported Elon Musk chuckled. So, I was surprised at how much Robert Llewellyn gushed about it.

In another Fuelly post, someone commented on the i3's looks. It's bad, but forgivable when put next to the Nissan Leaf.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Keep in mind that the BMW i3 is labeled as as "pure EV", but mind the small print. The standard i3 gets a North American reported range of 80 to 100 miles. That's unforgivable by most people's standards. The "Range Extended" version ("REx" option) gets you up to around 150 miles total; still dismal by most accounts. These numbers are based on the original capacity batteries.

The Range Extended version includes a 647cc gasoline (petrol) engine that acts as a generator to recharge the batteries. BMW had to deliberately cripple the vehicle by allowing only a tiny fuel tank so that it can qualify as an EV. Otherwise, with a bigger tank, it would have been categorized as a Plug-in Hybrid, and perceived as an even worse offering. A US$48,445 Plug-in Hybrid with an extended range of only 150 miles, and a gasoline-only range of about 50 miles? Embarrassing.

Factor in the price tag starting at US$43,395 and you're left wondering what BMW offers beside the badge that justifies that number.

If Tesla makes good on the promise to deliver Model 3s for $35,000 with a range of "at least 215 miles", that's double the range of the base i3 with a pricetag that's $8,395 (19%) smaller. It also still handily beats the more expensive Range Extended i3's range by 43% for a lot less moolah.

The i3 just doesn't make sense on so many levels... unless you're a big-time BMW fan, or you love the look or something. On range and cost, there are much better options.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

And, THAT is why Musk chuckled when asked for his opinion about the i3.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

I think some part of the i3's high price is due to the carbon fiber body that sits on an aluminum frame. It will never rust, it's light and very strong. The i3 is the cheapest car on sale that has a carbon fiber tub. Having said that, $45,000 is still a lot of money for a car.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post
I think some part of the i3's high price is due to the carbon fiber body that sits on an aluminum frame. It will never rust, it's light and very strong. The i3 is the cheapest car on sale that has a carbon fiber tub. Having said that, $45,000 is still a lot of money for a car.
Hmmm. Most interesting. In light of that info, I'm gonna wait 'til a used i3 depreciates to US$3,000. By THAT time, battery tech will be so advanced that I can replace the original i3 battery pack with a "D"-size, flashlight battery.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Second hand ones selling here for about £15,000 ($18500 roughly) already with just over 10,000 miles. Always best to wait, as I said in my other thread, current EV's loose almost 90% in the first few years due to the ever developing battery tech.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

$2.50 a mile depreciation. Heck, I'll chauffeur you around for that money, LOL!

100 miles a day = $250. My out of pocket cost=$6.60

Govt allows $.50

Income $250
Deduction $50
Fuel cost $3.35
Net $241.65 PER DAY driving 100 miles.

Still saves you taxes, insurance, fuel and any maintenance, license, city tag, etc.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Second hand ones selling here for about £15,000 ($18500 roughly) already with just over 10,000 miles. Always best to wait, as I said in my other thread, current EV's loose almost 90% in the first few years due to the ever developing battery tech.
A casual check of used i3 prices in the San Francisco area show 2014 models selling for US$19,000 with 20,000 miles and US$19,300 with 18,000 miles.

Recently saw an AutoLine Daily show with industry experts saying 2nd tier of buyers for used EVs are NOT there, which is the reason for used EV depreciating so deeply.