Bundle Up - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

That would be much easier! For bigger things I would walk out to my meter with a stopwatch and time the wheels for instantaneous draw, or read it and then wait a few hours and read it again. Really annoying.

Funny story. I had a friend move in to my loft. He is a super computer gadget geek and my electric bill went from $30/mo to $140/mo. I offered to just keep paying the $30/mo and he'd pay anything above that (actually generous since the $30 included all the fixed user fees). After a while he complained because he couldn't see how he was using so much, so he got out his CA bills, which showed he had been using MORE out there, even in winter with no A/C. Anyhow, he pesters me until I install a meter for the loft with its own breaker box. He agreed that we'd just split the bill proportionally now that we had detailed usage info. Because he then was kicking in for part of the user fees, his bill actually went UP. Turns out that his load when his devices were all in sleep mode was 50% as much as when he was actively doing things.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
here lately actually for the past 9 months that have been charging me a gas surcharge. its like 10$ extra a month

vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Our fixed fees just went up a lot for electricity, but then the first 100 kwh of power is at a reduced rate. For me it was pretty much a wash.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

Only oil or propane here. Both are sky high. I have come up with some pretty entertaining ideas for heating (mostly not serious):

1) Using nuclear waste to heat - turns out you'd need a LOT of it
2) Generate my own electricity & use the waste heat
3) Get on as many junk mail lists as possible and heat with that
4) Use a compressor on a windmill (very windy here in winter) to run a ground source heat pump, storing the hot water in an insulated tank
5) Run a low profit margin grid computing service and use the waste heat

The $60/mo I pay for high speed internet (I don't get the TV programming) is what gets me. I'm lucky to have it at all, and many in my town are on dialup.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
They talk about conserving all the time, yet they assess the very highest rates for the first few hundred kwh every month.
Go to the press. Make a stink!

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
3) Get on as many junk mail lists as possible and heat with that
Burning lots of paper is a huge amount of work, and it doesn't burn well in large quantity. Junk mail is especially bad, it's mainly glossy paper and sometimes plastic windows on envelopes.

In past winters, I've burned pallets. It's a lot of work cutting them up and feeding them into the fire but they make a whole lot of heat (and still less work than trying to burn all paper).

Quote:
The $60/mo I pay for high speed internet (I don't get the TV programming) is what gets me. I'm lucky to have it at all, and many in my town are on dialup.
It sucks being a slave to the cable company. That's my only option too.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

I knew junk mail sucked, which is why is was a joke! Mostly making fun of how much damn mail I was getting. I ordered some .22 ammo for my plinking rifle and all of a sudden I was getting cigar, jerky, and phone sex number junk mail. Yeesh.

I'd love to share cable with my neighbor and kick in for his bill (use a wifi router), but we're not friendly enough that I think he'd go for it.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

When my ex left my mail dropped to almost nothing. Now I just collect it when I have Netflix discs waiting (mailbox is about 2/3 of a mile away so it makes a good walk).

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
http://www.catalogchoice.org is good at reducing unwanted catalog mail, though they have no effect on Travelsmith.

I never ordered anything from Travelsmith. Once, about 4 years ago, I let my mom use my credit card to order something to be delivered to her house (not mine). I get a never-ending supply of Travelsmith catalogs, despite my repeated pleas to stop the deluge. I've tried being nice, I've tried threatening, and I can't figure out what they think they have to gain by ignoring my requests. I'm not going to suddenly be impressed by their wares someday and buy something. All I'll ever do is beg people to never buy anything from them, as long as they're fresh in my mind.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Registered Member

Never tried it with junk mail, but I find a phone call beats email (especially if you make a point of asking for the name of who you're speaking with), a professional letter beats a phone call, and a personal visit beats 'em all.

co de pen den cy