Bundle Up - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Bundle Up

I keep my house at 45 degrees and wear ski pants, a jacket, a hat, and fingerless gloves inside the house in the winter. As long as my hands don't hurt, I'm good.

Electric blanket (on a timer to preheat the bed) and a ton of blankets for sleeping. Using the bathroom is the only real downside.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Actually, I have trouble getting bananas to turn yellow. My fridge also freezes up a bit. I have to turn the heat up about 2 hours before I have guests.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
you just let your house naturally get that low right? you dont have your ac to 45 degrees, right?
vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yep, in winter. I have a whole house fan for the summer. Less tolerant of heat than cold since I don't have a "cooling blanket" for my bed. Maybe well water slowly circulating through some sort of pad? Sounds annoying...and heavy!

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

i thought i was hard core letting the house get to 55 degrees, Whats your electricty bill per month?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Bill's about $30. A lot of that is user fees. About 150 Kwh. I am still building my own house and it's not fully insulated, so I wintered in just a piece of it that I threw temporary insulation around. If it were finished, 50-55 would probably me a more reasonable level.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

how many square feet? I am thinking about getting those energy efficiant windows, i currently have the old school ones. I wonder if my electricity bill would go down any. thoughts?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxdude View Post
how many square feet? I am thinking about getting those energy efficiant windows, i currently have the old school ones. I wonder if my electricity bill would go down any. thoughts?
7,000 when it's finally all done. That's a little misleading as it has no basement (an attempt to reduce stairs) and that counts the integrated garage. My ex is a printemaker and she wanted an extensive art studio so I designed it all into one building. The walls are 14" thick and I blew in R60 in the attic, also the windows are very strategically placed. I have a wood stove (not in operation yet) and I had a solar porch with a plan for a big ol' hot water storage tank, but I needed to cancel that plan as I need to sell it now and people don't want weird and custom, so says the realtor. Nixing the thermal shutters for the windows too. Wish I'd never started it. Taking a long time.

A friend of mine had drafty old windows so he siliconed them shut since he never opens them anyway (not in a bedroom). Fast and cheap fix. He also had single zone heat (hydronic) so we added another zone for the bedrooms. Pex rocks, is all I have to say. I made him insulate his heating pipes (they run through his unheated crawl space), but he doesn't want to ditch his 20 year old fridge for some strange reason (it runs a LOT and is sucking down juice).

I suggest getting a kill-a-watt or just using your electric meter to systematically measure what's using power. Where do you live? Is A/C a big draw? I helped a friend blow cellulose into his walls in CA. He had a 1950s era house with nothing in there. We drilled holes on the inside rather than the outside because the stucco would've been harder to patch. One wall had a hole in the outside and we blew a LOT of cellulose in there trying to fill it up before realizing something was wrong. All over the yard.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Where do you live? Is A/C a big draw?.
Duh, you live in TN!

co de pen den cy

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I suggest getting a kill-a-watt or just using your electric meter to systematically measure what's using power.
http://www.google.org/powermeter