Bush lifts offshore drilling ban in symbolic move - Page 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #91
Registered Member

watch the show below and then tell us how we can eliminate oil.

http://www.history.com/schedule.do?a...=EST&x=12&y=10

Watch Modern Marvels on the History channel on Aug 23 7PM Eastern

Modern Marvels: Secrets of Oil
Rubber, Plastic, Nylon, Aerosols, Resins, Solvents, and Lubricants--none can exist without oil. If we stopped driving our cars tomorrow, America would still need five million barrels of oil a day. Visit Vulcan Materials, where oil tanks are emptied into massive double-barrel mixers to make asphalt and then continue to the Rolls Royce Aerospace Facility where complex jet fuels are blended. Travel back to the 1870's to see how an unemployed whale oil salesman turned a greasy oil-drilling by-product into a household staple: Vaseline. Finally discover how cutting-edge recycling techniques can breathe new life into used motor oil, and where a number of renewable fuels and technologies take aim at oil sovereignty.

==================================================

I'd like to add that Russia, Saudi Arabia, and other Natural gas producing countries are now planning on creating a Natural Gas "OPEC" in order to push the price of Natural gas up and control the supply side of it.

The US imports 18% of natural gas. imagine Natural gas price going up to the same level as oil.

I don't care why others hate oil so much (those that do simply have no understanding of the total energy picture in America right now). there is no substitute for oil right now. we need more of it and conserve as much as we can as well. we need to do everything and do it right now.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #92
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_matic_00 View Post
watch the show below and then tell us how we can eliminate oil.
I don't recall anyone suggesting in this thread that we eliminate oil. As clearly it is a valuable commodity in many other respects outside of burning it for heat or transportation.

Quote:
I'd like to add that Russia, Saudi Arabia, and other Natural gas producing countries are now planning on creating a Natural Gas "OPEC" in order to push the price of Natural gas up and control the supply side of it.

The US imports 18% of natural gas. imagine Natural gas price going up to the same level as oil.

I don't care why others hate oil so much (those that do simply have no understanding of the total energy picture in America right now). there is no substitute for oil right now. we need more of it and conserve as much as we can as well. we need to do everything and do it right now.
"No understanding"?? Do you understand that it does not matter how many new wells we open up, our demand will continue to exceed supply?

We are chasing our tails here.

Natural gas is going to be a poor substitute as well. There are better ways, the cost of which cannot be compared to the cost of human lives and our environment.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #93
Registered Member

absolutely wrong. did you even watch the Modern Marvels show about Oil.

don't really care. it is clear that you have NO UNDERSTANDING of the situation. this debate is over anyway, the moratorium is going to expire soon.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #94
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_matic_00 View Post
absolutely wrong. did you even watch the Modern Marvels show about Oil.

don't really care. it is clear that you have NO UNDERSTANDING of the situation. this debate is over anyway, the moratorium is going to expire soon.
Instead of declaring me wrong, perhaps you could attack the actual points of my assertions?

#1 I never declared that we are prepared to exist in an oil free society.
#2 Explain how the benevolence of big oil will supposedly trickle down to the rest of us with expanded drilling.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #95
Site Team / Moderator

Just in case anyone missed this, Steven Colbert was talking about offshore drilling last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_prsqSkdlc

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #96
Registered Member

Nice find. He pretty well illustrates that we don't really win either way - with the caveat of putting a damper on speculation by the suggestion of more drilling.

Unfortunately, this is just one of many shows we no longer see on a regular basis - including the History Channel - because we no longer pay for TV anymore since there are plenty of other sources for real news and entertainment that are more or less free.