Bush lifts offshore drilling ban in symbolic move - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I know for a fact that Virginia wants to allow drilling off the coast because they want the revenue that offshore drilling would bring to the state treasury.
no doubt it would stimulate that state's economy!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #72
Registered Member

all the debate will be over soon. democrats are starting to cave in to public pressure as over 73% of Americans (and climbing) now favor more drilling.

even if Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid keep blocking the vote for more drilling, the moratorium is set to expire in September. they will not have enough vote to reinstitute the moratorium and Bush can veto it IF (and that's a big IF) the moratorium is extended by Congress (SLIM chance of that happening).

The "gang of 10" that has drafted a bill that compromises on both sides have presented good ideas which both sides of the aisle can accept. it would behoove Nancy and Harry to accept the draft since they would not be able to get the tax revenue that the bill is proposing (to end the oil tax credits) when the moratorium ends and oil companies start drilling en masse.

if the democrats still opposes the bill (at their own political risks, there are democrats who are vulnerable in the next election, and people will vote them out if their party keep opposing a COMPLETE energy solution, the grassroots movement is growing and if they don't drill, they will be voted off the hill) then all we have to do is wait for the moratorium to end in September.

oddly enough, Barack "I'll say anything to win" Obama has now flipped flopped again and is now supporting "some" off shore drilling. fancy the thought that he will lose the election because of his pig-headed opposition to keeping oil dollars within our country. the moratorium will end and Obama is now vulnerable to losing the election. Obama's flip floping on the issue shows his lack of knowledge about the energy crisis and his audacity is starting to become an achiless heel. the democrats are shaking in their boots.

I won't be around a lot since I will be busy (been away for a vacation this past week)....time to help the conservative campaign win this election and take back our God given resources to benefit America!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #73
Registered Member

Even Warren Buffett, one of the richest democrat of them all believes that the energy problem is about supply and demand. So why is it that the democrats are still blocking an oil drilling vote:

Billionaire Warren Buffett says he believes supply and demand, not market speculation, is what's driving oil prices to new heights.
June 25, 2008 1:02 PM ET
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...625&id=8824619

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Billionaire Warren Buffett says he believes supply and demand, not market speculation, is what's driving oil prices to new heights.

Oil futures fell Wednesday after the Energy Department said the nation's supplies of fuel and oil were larger than expected last week, but prices remain above $130 a barrel.

Buffett told CNBC in a live interview that today's prices reflect a lack of oil in the world.

Some people have suggested that curbing speculation in oil contracts could dramatically lower the price of oil.

And at least nine bills proposing limits on that oil speculation have been introduced in Congress in recent weeks.

===========================================

Buffett is one of Barack Obama's economic advisers, yet Barack still doesn't want to drill....oh yes, he said he'll accept "some" drilling. Barack can't even accept his own advisers own principles.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #74
Registered Member

the city of orlando is now looking at raising property tax as well as other ones as the rising crime rate is hindering the budget in regards to extra law efforcement(overtime).

certainly we'll always have crime, but as individual's financial struggles increase, so too does the crime rate. why not? at least in prison one is guaranteed shelter and food.

this central florida economy is doing ok in most respects, but more businesses are closing. how much longer can our national economy maintain itself w/out some energy relief?

wake up anti-drillers, sooner or later these adverse affects WILL reach you!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
the city of orlando is now looking at raising property tax as well as other ones as the rising crime rate is hindering the budget in regards to extra law efforcement(overtime).

certainly we'll always have crime, but as individual's financial struggles increase, so too does the crime rate. why not? at least in prison one is guaranteed shelter and food.

this central florida economy is doing ok in most respects, but more businesses are closing. how much longer can our national economy maintain itself w/out some energy relief?

wake up anti-drillers, sooner or later these adverse affects WILL reach you!
a lot more people are moving out of Florida as well, as property taxes squeeze out a lot of florida residents that can't afford the high cost of living. offshore drilling in Florida can allow the state to lower some of their taxes and boost their economy.

wait till the elections come. democrats in Florida and many states are in for a big surprise. the republicans are set to gain the majority in both houses of congress as Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid keep embracing the environmentalist agenda. it is starting to hurt democrats in the local election races.

the republicans might just take both the presidency and congress in November.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #76
Registered Member

Ok, here is the primary premise of all economic arguments I would make against not drilling more: Lower oil prices stimulate demand. Providing more supply may short circuit price increases in the near term, but it leaves us chasing our own tails.

Environmentally, you can either tolerate it or you can't. Any comparison of the environment to need for oil is arbitrarily in the eye of the beholder - which unfortunately is similar to dealing with second hand smoke. Personally, I won't tolerate second hand smoke in my home, car, or inside public places. Likewise, I don't want to see, smell, or deal with the environmental impact of oil drilling. You can't put a concrete dollar amount on what that is worth to me. Most people typically have the NIMBY attitude when faced with the proposition of having such infringements as an oil well actually IN their back yard. Just because one person is willing to sell out the health of their environment, does not mean that everybody else around them should have to bear burden of doing so.

No drilling. Economic cost is not the issue.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #77
Site Team / Moderator

Part of the point I think you are missing is this: China is already drilling on the North American continental shelf. The environmental risk is already there. Who do you think will be more concerned about environmental issues when drilling off of our shores? A US based oil company, or China who really doesn't care about environmental issues within their own borders, nevermind half a world away. The notion that we are saving ourselves from some environmental risk is ludicrous. We are at risk whether or not we allow US based companies to drill.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #78
Registered Member

I would like to see proof of China drilling in our waters.
All the sources I've seen go back to a speech Cheney gave. One in which his office says he misspoke about the Chinese drilling.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #79
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I would like to see proof of China drilling in our waters.
All the sources I've seen go back to a speech Cheney gave. One in which his office says he misspoke about the Chinese drilling.
My apologies. Apparently this has been hashed through the rumor mill so much its hard to find any real facts on it. A quick Google search has turned up that although no drilling has begun, Cuba has issued leases to several (mostly European) foreign oil companies. The reason they haven't started to drill is that they don't know what to do with it. Cuba doesn't have the refineries to process it, and the US trade embargo prohibits the oil from being refined in the US.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_matic_00 View Post
wait till the elections come. democrats in Florida and many states are in for a big surprise.

i hope you're right and florida wakes up and votes out the dems. Bill Nelson is a bumbling idiot. his greatest accomplishment is riding into space on the space shuttle!